Fred Beckey - Lurking Fear 2006

Fred Beckey - Lurking Fear 2006

Page Type Page Type: Album
In the Fall of 2006 I received a call from Ammon McNeely asking if I'd be interested in shooting a project with him. Since I was unable to coordinate my schedule with his for his sub-36 hour ascent of Reticent Wall, earlier that year, I jumped at the opportunity without even asking what the plan was. I couldn't let a bro down twice in a year, could I?!

When Ammon told me we'd be taking Fred Beckey up El Capitan's Lurking Fear, I was in shock! Having looked up to Fred and all of his accomplishments for years, I was beside myself in knowing that I'd be helping him up his first El Cap ascent. Fred would also have been the oldest person to summit the big stone, being in his mid-eighties. My research shows him to be either 83 or 86. He's not telling, either way.

While Fred didn't actually make it up the route, it was still the opportunity of a lifetime to spend a week with him; preparing for the climb, working the approach with him, doing the little amount of climbing he did and, well, being able to shoot so many photos of him.

These are but a few of the photos I shot of Fred and the crew during the week. Some I'm still under contract not to post and others might not be appropriate for posting here. And, well, some are just for those of us who were involved. You know who you are, monkeys! Oooooah!

Hope everyone enjoys a glimpse into that week. You can visit www.randywenzel.com to view the rest of the series.

Cheers!

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
The Defiant One

The Defiant One - Apr 19, 2007 11:45 pm - Hasn't voted

coolest

thing ever

Dave K - May 8, 2007 12:27 pm - Voted 10/10

This is a great album

Well done! Sounds like an incredible experience.

robojeda

robojeda - Jan 25, 2008 4:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks!

Randy these photo's are badass. I checked out the others on your site. Thanks for sharing!

nefarius

nefarius - Jan 29, 2008 2:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words, Rob! Hanging with Fred was a super time.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4