Viewing: 1-3 of 3
ChristianRodriguez

ChristianRodriguez - Oct 25, 2008 2:25 am - Hasn't voted

Really nice trip

Reall nice trip, weather was perfect cleary ski, a little cold but not to extremes. Do you have any pictures? I try to attach some

Tim Geerlings

Tim Geerlings - Aug 7, 2010 11:29 pm - Hasn't voted

difficult to climb right now

Agatha completely wiped out the pools at Fuentes Amargas Georginas, and the Fuentes won´t be open for an estimated two months from today. That said, I was able to climb from Fuentes Amargas. A few notes:
1. Normally, I'd imagine there is a decent amount of traffic on the 8km road from Zunil to las Fuentes. Now, it is only a few "Colectivo" pickups, that bring locals to the fields to work for the day. A foreigner should expect to pay 10 Quetzales each way, and be prepared to walk a mile or more along the road, as the last farms are probably a mile from the fuentes.
2. The Fuentes are not open, but when I climbed Zunil the gate to enter was open, and there were probably 15 people working at reconstruction, and they said they work every day mon-sat. Sunday climbing would involve hopping a six or seven foot gate, which there is no way around.
3. Given both of the above, I would NOT advise hiking the trail, until the Fuentes are open (around 10-2010), unless you speak good Spanish.
4. The first hour or so of the trail is challening... several places I had to crawl under fallen bamboo trees that made "caves." Nonetheless, the forest is beautiful! When the Fuentes open, that portion of the trail will most likely be maintained more.

ChristianRodriguez

ChristianRodriguez - Oct 7, 2010 4:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: difficult to climb right now

Can you add a trip report? your trip sounds great! I went there in 2007, I know it's lots of changings after the storms.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'From Fuentes Georginas' main page