Frozen Waterfall on Bluff Mountain

Frozen Waterfall on Bluff Mountain

Bluff Mountain Falls has to be one of the least known major waterfalls in the South. Here is part of it, frozen.
BobSmith
on Mar 11, 2007 1:39 am
Image Type(s): Hiking
Image ID: 276769

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
dwhike

dwhike - Mar 19, 2007 2:44 am - Voted 10/10

Seasonal?

Amazing, never heard of these falls! Looks like they could be somewhat seasonal. Do they flow year-round?

BobSmith

BobSmith - Mar 19, 2007 1:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Seasonal?

I'd never heard of them until the Conservancy guide took us to them. No, the stream is pretty hefty and would, I feel, flow all year. It had been dry when we were there and it had very heavy flow. The disappointing thing is that you can't get a really good view. One is only allowed to crawl out to the edge of the escarpment to take shots from one narrow spot (the guide will not allow you to go anywhere else on the escarpment, or to stand up there). There is no access to the bottom of the falls because some jackass bought a parcel of land beside the road at the base of the mountain and the trail the Conservancy had been planning to take folk to the base was then made impossible. You can see the bastard's house being built from the escarpment. He's going to have a grand view of the falls, but no one else will.

dwhike

dwhike - Mar 19, 2007 10:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Seasonal?

Why am I not surprised...you can't blame the Conservancy for having such strict policies when you see that crap happening right on their doorstep. Rockslides do happen...:)

Viewing: 1-3 of 3