Gangotri - III

Gangotri - III

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 30.90067°N / 78.89079°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 21572 ft / 6575 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Gangotri - III is a mountain among a group of mountains in the state of Uttarakhand in India. Gangotri is famous as one of the 4 dhams (religious places), which is frequently visited by lot of people in India. Gangotri group of peaks consist of G-I, G-II and G-III. Also, this valley is known for the very famous "Auden's Col" trekking expedition, which a lot of people undertake. 
Most of the climbing community goes to the east of Gangotri, in the Bhagirathi valley, to climb peaks there, and in comparison to that, very few come to this valley.

G-III involves fixing rope, negotiating crevasses and breaking trail in deep snow. Rock is usually not encountered in this expedition. 

Getting There

One can reach Gangotri via two routes:
1. New Delhi - Haridwar - Rishikesh - Uttarkashi - Gangotri
2. New Delhi - Dehradun - Uttarkashi - Gangotri

The road via Dehradun is a bit (@ 50 km) shorter. From Delhi, Dehradun can be reached by flight, train or car.

Route

Route involves hiking into the Rudugaira valley, crossing the rudu-ganga river, and making camps at higher altitudes.

Red Tape

Climbing in this area involves taking permissions from the forest department as well as booking the peak through IMF, based out of Delhi. 

When to Climb

Usually, climbing is done from the 2nd week of May to 2 week of June, after which rains start. However, weather is highly unpredictable.

Camping

Gangotri - Naala Camp - Base Camp - ABC - Camp 1 - Summit Camp - Summit.

External Links

None.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.