Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.61980°N / 111.744°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Salt Lake
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6076 ft / 1852 m
Sign the Climber's Log

 Overview

Geezer Wall is as simple or technical as any climber wishes to make it. It is slightly out of the way and less traveled, providing beautiful views while still in seclusion. The wall faces northwest, giving the climbers plenty of shade in the morning and less direct sunlight in the afternoon. The bolts are clean and well-placed, albeit some large spacing between a few bolts. The rock seems to be mostly quartzite. The entire floor of this wall is inclined talus, making it a bit tricky to navigate or belay on. Not recommended for children due to approach, but this is a good wall for beginners and beyond.
Geezer View
View from Geezer Wall

Getting There

*Use the GPX file at the top of the page*
From the intersection at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, head 2.7 miles east into the canyon. On your right, you will find a stream that feeds into the main river (by passing under the road). This is the "trailhead". If you reach the Storm Mountain Picnic Area, you've gone just a few hundred feet too far. There is good parking parallel to the river or just right next to the trailhead, or, if you feel more comfortable, there is a small parking turnout just across the road from the Storm Mountain Picnic Area. You will find the trail on the west (downhill) side of the small stream (this area is known as "Stairs Gulch"). You will simply follow this trail nearly straight south-southeast. You will begin paralleling beautiful mountain cliffs. Eventually, this trail turns into talus and becomes more difficult. You will be forced to follow more cliff face that is nearly perpendicular (forcing you to head uphill south-southwest). Geezer Wall is along this new northwest-facing ridge. Continue up the talus until you just pass a large, lone-standing tower of a boulder. You should begin seeing some bolts. This is Geezer Wall.

Geezer Wall and Glass Ocean map
Geezer Wall and Glass Ocean as seen from Storm Mountain Picnic Area

Routes

Geezer Wall is split into two primary sections: Main Slab and Climber's Choice Wall. Main Slab is the left (downhill) section, primarily sport climbing and much easier (5.5 to 5.8). Climber's Choice is on the right of that, and is all trad climbing of various difficulty (5.8 to 5.10).

Geezer Wall Routes
Geezer Wall (mostly Main Slab)

When to Climb

The season is clear for climbing fairly early. Everything should be clean from Spring through Fall.

Camping

It is within a mile of the road (you must be at least a mile out to camp).  You will need to hike further in from the road to camp.

External Links

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/geezer-wall/106518988