Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.55028°N / 105.69326°W
Additional Information County: Park County
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12335 ft / 3760 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Views from the summit.
Geneva Mountain, view from the summit. (June 2013)

 

 

Trail Info:

Trailhead Elevation: 11, 669 ft

Round Trip Distance: 7 miles

Elevation Gain: 1636 ft

Summit Elevation: 12,335 ft

Local Maps: USGSMount Evans

Topo Map: Geneva Mountain Topographic Map

Guide Book: Colorado Summit Hikes for Everyone

 

Geneva Mountain is small mountain summit in Park County, Colorado, and this mountain is not to be confused with Geneva Peak, north of Webster Pass and farther southwest in same county. 

This hike is all above timberline and therefore affords extensive vistas over its entire lenght. You are likely to spot hikers scaling the nearby fourteener, Mount Bierstadt, as well as get a look at 

its rugged Sawtooth Ridge. You are advised to arrive early, as the parking lot for this popular area fills up so quicly in the summer. 

The area is critical to wildlife also.The thick stands of willows in the bottomland between  Geneva Mountain and Mount Bierstadt attract large numbers of ptarmigan in the winter, seeking food and shelter.

Getting There

Directions:

From the North:

Take the Georgetown exit off of Interstate 70. Drive through Georgetown and follow the signs for the Guanella Pass Scenic Byway. Drive 12 miles to the top of Guanella Pass (11,700’) and park in one of the two large, paved parking areas on either side of the road. The Geneva Mountain trail starts near the parking area on the east side of the road. The upper parking area (on the west side of the pass) has restrooms.

From the South:

Take US 285 west from Denver or east from Fairplay. Drive to the town of Grant which is about 12 miles west of Bailey. In Grant, turn north on the Guanella Pass Scenic Byway and drive approx. 13 miles to Guanella Pass.

Winter access:

From the north: Usually only plowed to the campground approx. 3 miles below Guanella Pass.

From the south: Usually plowed to Duck Lake, approx. 1.75 miles below the pass.

 

 

Route

Begin hiking south-southeast on the trail from the Guanella Pass parking area. At first trail junction take left fork (Rosalie Trail) on Trail # 603.Within few minutes of easy hiking  Geneva Mountain will appear with two very visible subpeaks to its right, real summit on third , the farthest looking peak. Continue on old road from the trailhead, and at next trail junction leave the road and ascend southeast(toward first subpeak), mostly over tundra. Skirt the first subpeak to the left(east) and cross directly over the second subpeak to reach the top of Geneva Mountain.Even Geneva Mountain is not much of mountain, vies from the summit are fantastic, if you like solitute and open tundra hiking above timberline with endless views this mountain is right fit for you.

Trail
Geneva Mountain
Second Subpeak
Second Subpeak
First SubpeakFirst Subpeak
 
Square Top from the trail.
Square Top from the trail.
View of Mt. Bierstadt.
View of Mt. Bierstadt.
Great views.Great views.

Images

Beautiful Hike
Beautiful Hike
Pasque Flower
Pasque Flower
Butter CupsButter Cups
 
Ptarmigan
Ptarmigan
Bighorn Sheep
Bighorn Sheep
Mt. EvansMt. Evans
Wildflowers.
Wildflowers.
Mt. Bierstadt.
Mt. Bierstadt.
The Views.The Views.

Map


View Larger Map

Camping

Webster Benchmark
Campgrounds map
Guanella Pass Campground is located about 7 miles south of Georgetown on County Road 381 at an elevation of 10,900 feet. 
The campground is split into two loops by the county road and South Clear Creek. There are 18 sites in the campground.
 Eleven are suitable for RV camping and seven are more suitable for tents. Most of the sites are in the open with some tent sites located among some spruce trees.
 Each site has a picnic table and fire ring or grate. The maximum vehicle length that can be accommodated is 45 feet.  The roads through the campground are gravel. 
There is one water hydrant and one restroom in each loop. Both of the restrooms will accommodate disabled persons. 
Reservations are accepted and can be made 5 - 240 days in advance. 
The season for this campground normally runs from early June through mid September, depending on the weather. Check with the Forest Service for the current fees.
 

Features:

18 sites Maximum spur length of 45 feet
Drinking water Next to stream or lake
Two restrooms Disabled facilities
Reservations accepted Elevation: 10,900 feet 

External Links

Alltrails
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
rkymtn

rkymtn - Sep 9, 2013 1:36 pm - Hasn't voted

TH is south of the parking lots

The Rosalie Trail may have once connected to the main parking area, but is now separated. It is located a short distance to the South of the parking lots and is on the east side of the road.

Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Oct 10, 2013 2:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: TH is south of the parking lots

Thanks for input, Happy trails!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.