Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2953 ft / 900 m

Overview

This is a 68Km hike, it usually takes about five days to complete. It goes from the Sani pass to Bushmans Nek in the Drakensberg mountains. It is moderately difficult, most people can do it. It is one of the more popular trails in South Africa. The first day of the trek is about 14km:day 2, 9km;day 3, 12km; day 4, 13km; and day 5, 12km. Its pretty chilly along the trail at night and ealry morning but it warms up throughout the day.

Getting There

There are hotels and hostels around the area such as the Sani lodge and the Khotso horse farm. Most places can give you a ride to the head of the trail and you can make arrangements for a pick up time.

Camping

There are huts available at each of the stops. Also tent spaces are available. You can make reservations for the huts with the KZN Wildlife Offices in Peitermaritzburg.

Day 1

Day one is the longest of the five days at 14km.
Giants Cup Trail
Giants Cup Trail

Giants Cup Trail
Giants Cup Trail

Day 2

Day 2 of the Giants cup trail is the shortest of the five days at 9km. This day is by far the easiest day. It only takes a couple hours to complete. If you still have energy and don't want to sit around at the huts there is a mountain that is right behind the hut. There is a trail going up to the top. The mountian is called "the Pimple" the elevation of the summit is 1966m.
Giants Cup Trail
Giants Cup Trail

Giants Cup Trail
Giants Cup Trail

Day 3

Garden Castle huts

Day 4

Day 5