Gigalitz (3002m)

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 47.05422°N / 11.89545°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 24, 2009
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer

Gigalitz via Ginzling and Greizerhutte

Gigalitz is located in the South of Austria, about 10 km from Mayerhofen and close to the Italian border. It's possible to hike up the valley from Ginzling to the end of the dirt track (1600m approx) but it's do-able in the Hutte-taxi or any 4-wheel vehicle. We took the taxi and began climbing via an obvious path which crosses several small streams. The Greizerhutte is visible to the South-East of the start point at about 2200m. The path is straighforward to the hut where accomodation and excellent refreshments are available. The path then turns almost due North and crosses a boulder field (some loose) before a split in the path with a signpost directing you to the left for Gigalitz. Continue on the left fork until the path crosses a ridge and almost immediately turns 90 degrees to the right. The scrambling becomes tougher from here on to the summit (3002m) where fantastic views can be had in every direction. The scrambling is of medium difficulty but a head for heights is required as there are some very exposed parts. From the valley end to the summit and back by the same route took around 6 hours with a 1 hour lunch stop at the Greizerhutte. This is an ascent of around 1400m, with about 3/4 on a well marked path.

Comments

No comments posted yet.