Gold Mountain (NV)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.25230°N / 117.3056°W
Additional Information County: Esmerelda
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8152 ft / 2485 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Gold Mountain (NV)
Gold Mountain


"Thar's gold in them thar hills" That was the rallying cry that made normal seeming men lose their senses and go crazy in the pursuit of the golden treasure. All over Nevada, men chased the gold and silver colored metals and every once in a while, a mountain was named in its honor. So now we have a mountain named after the yellow stuff and the center of attention for this Summitpost page is: Gold Mountain.

Gold is the name of the mountain and it isn't far from Goldpoint or Goldfield Nevada. Seems like there might have been some gold discovered in the area but for prominence peakbaggers, the gold is found at the summit when you are presented with wonderful views in all directions.

Where is Gold Mountain Nevada you might ask? It is near Goldpoint which isn't all that far from Goldfield. There, I knew that would help. Actually, a fair answer would be that Gold Mountain is located in Esmerelda county, the least populated county in the state with less than 800 residents and the 2nd least populated county in the continental United States. Consider the fact that the county doesn't even have a high school and students are bussed to Tonopah to get their high school education and you get a feel for how few people call this area home.

Located essentially half way between Las Vegas and Reno off of Highway 95, Gold Mountain is located in an area rich with mining history. Gold Mountain is the 84th most prominent mountain in Nevada with over 2700 feet of prominence and due to this prominence, it is an attractive prize for those who chase after this category of peakbagging.

A register placed in 1998 by Gordon MacLeod and Barbara Lilley has had an average of about one party per year sign its pages since it was placed and peakbagger.com shows about 20 who claim a visit to the summit.

Getting There

From US 95, using Benchmark or a Nevada state map, find your way to Gold Point and start from there. Dennis Poulin has placed some helpful directions on peakbagger.com and rather than re-invent the wheel (since I made the trip with Dennis), I'll share his directions as found on peakbagger.

"On the far side of Gold Point turn left on 2nd Ave, aero your odometer, and find the small sign that reads "Hardluck mine castle 10.5 miles". This is a good gravel road. At .3 mile take the right fork, at .6 mile take the right fork, at 1.0 mile take the right fork, at 4.2 miles go over a small saddle, at 5.6 miles take the left fork, and at 5.8 miles take a left turn on an unsigned lesser road. At 6.8 miles take the left fork, at 7.0 miles go straight across Oriental Wash and ignore the crossing road, drive up the alluvial fan through a Joshua Tree forest and at 9.2 miles pass 2 water tanks on the left, at 10.0 miles take the left fork, I started hitting patches of snow on the road at 7,000 ft elevation here and kept going, 12.3 miles reach a saddle at a switchback in the main road road with a lesser road to the right. Take the lesser road if you have 4WD or park and start hiking. Follow the road another .4 mile to a small sadle at 7,550 ft elevation." To add a bit more information, "there is another junction not reported by Dennis, take the one on the left (more south) and this will take you to the final saddle and ridge line where one can ascend west to the summit." That last tidbit is reported by Dan Baxter and I found it to be spot on.


 
Gold Point historical gallowsGold Point gallows
 
Gold Mountain (NV)High clearance road
 
Gold Mountain (NV)Twin water tanks 

Route

The route up to the summit starts from where we parked our vehicles at the final saddle. It is about 2/3rds of a mile to the summit and the hike is relatively straightforward with great views as a reward along with a register and benchmarks at the summit. Elevation gain is under 700 feet and it is less than a mile to the summit from where we parked.


 
Gold Mountain register Register
 
Gold Mountain summitSummit 
 
Gold Mountain BenchmarkBenchmark

Red Tape

 
Dennis on the summit
Atop the summit


None that I am aware of. There were no signs indicating private property or possible trespassing potential.

When to Climb

It is likely that this mountain could be climbed at any season of the year although heat during the summer might be a problem or snow in the winter could be an unexpected stopper. Snow could add some distance to your hike and might require snowshoes. Spring and fall are the best seasons to visit this one.

Camping and weather

It is possible to car camp on BLM land. You need to observe the "leave no trace" ethic. Motels are available in Tonopah and Beatty but there is not an organized campground in the area.

Weather for Goldfield Nevada

Views from the summit


 
Looking west 
 
The view northeast 
 
The view east 


Looking north
 

Disclaimer

As road conditions can change and hiking or traveling in this type of country can be inherently dangerous, the above information is provided only as a courtesy. You accept all risk and responsibility for your activities in this area and I recommend that you let others know of your plans and where you will be hiking/climbing prior to heading to this area. Be self sufficient and carry plenty of food, water and shelter in the event of a breakdown. Good quality tires are a necessity on the rough and rocky roads you will encounter as is a vehicle in good condition. Cell service may be unavailable. Having said all that, have a good trip and please let the author of this page know of changes that you encounter.