Gorce Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
jck

jck - Sep 4, 2008 3:06 am - Voted 10/10

Fantastic!

Very nice page. Really nicely done. Maybe you will create a separate about Turbacz?

Regards
jck

visentin

visentin - Sep 4, 2008 3:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fantastic!

Thanks for the enthousiastic comment.
Yes, in order to do things properly I should create "peaks" pages for every Gorce peak (Turbacz and others), but I decided that so far this page is enough, and much more detailled than what should be done for other parts of the Carpathians outside Tatras.. There is so much to do for the Beskidy Zywiecki, Slaski, Niski, Bieszczady, etc... also in Slovakia with Nizke Tatry, etc.
Have you seen the mirror page about Gorce in MBPost ? This is actually the real reason of my creation of this region, it is a paradise for mountain-cycling.

Eric

yatsek

yatsek - Jan 21, 2009 4:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Geo(graphy/logy) & Sister Page

Without doubt, the Gorce belong in the West(ern) Beskidy, which are part of the so called Outer Flysch (typical rock) Carpathians.

Talking of biking, the Gorce, Beskydy, Ohniste, etc. I think perhaps the sister page would work if it covered both mtn biking and hiking (butterflies OK!:)). I haven't done any 'technical' climbing lately, but I've cycled quite a lot, and I'm sure there are many more SP'ers like me:-) And you're right, Eric, the Gorce (and Beskid Niski, and most of the Sudetes) might be better enjoyed on the bike.

Proterra

Proterra - Jul 16, 2013 5:30 am - Hasn't voted

Additions:

Gorczański Park Narodowy:

Only 20-30% of Gorce is part of the National park, which starts east of Turbacz. The entire western area, including Turbacz, is an unofficial recreational area for the city of Nowy Targ, and, especially the area around Turbacz and Bukowina Waksmundzka is littered with bacówki. What you're saying about not allowing combustion engines, this is as such not true, as this only goes for the national park. It's completely legal to ride your snowmobile during winter from Kowaniec to Turbacz and back down to Kowaniec or even Obidowa. During summer you can do the same with your ATV or motorcycle.

Gentle slopes:

The slopes are generally steeper on the Podhale side, but the main reason there won't be avalanches in Gorce is because it's 85% forested, and the slopes themselves approach 100% forestation. Turbacz is 250 metres short of the tree line.

Getting there:

The eastern part of Gorce is best accessible from Ochotnica. This section could be improved quite a bit - just turn to Mszana will go "and then what". Besides that, the road from Mszana to Zabrzeż is a pain and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unfamilliar with the area as a quick way to get to the eastern part of Gorce - better is to stay on DK7, turn off in Nowy Targ, go straight at the roundabout by Biedronka (where you turn right for Bukowina Tatr.) and follow this road (DW969) to Harklowa, where a sign will point you to Knurów and Ochotnica.

Ochotnica Górna in my opinion is the best place to start for exploring eastern Gorce as you're right in the middle of everything.

Rabka Zdrój / Nowy Targ:

For Western Gorce, In Nowy Targ you can take the city bus to Kowaniec which will drop you off almost right at the trailhead to Turbacz - from here it's only a 1,5 hour walk to the summit where you can enjoy cold beer. It's a pity that you don't mention Nowy Targ anyways in this page, but only Rabka, as Rabka is one of a large number of places surrounding Gorce, of which Nowy Targ actually has quite a bit to offer. I agree that Rabka is far more suitable for children though. I don't think you would like to take your Mikołaj to a punk concert in Dudek... ;-)

visentin

visentin - Aug 7, 2013 8:49 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Additions:

You're co-owner ! Feel free to add what you find useful ;)

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Gorce' main page