Gore Range Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Scott

Scott - Mar 5, 2006 7:31 am - Hasn't voted

Gore Range (northern)

Technically this mountain should be attached to the Gore Range.

The Gore Range extends all the way to Rabbit Ears and Muddy Passes, and Baker Mountain is the northern-most peak in the Gores, though north of the Colorado River, all the peaks are gentle and rolling rather than rugged.

Since the peaks are so different in the north half and south half of the range, it might make sense to divide up the range into an "Eagles Nest Wilderness" and "Northern Gore Range" page, but this might also cause confusion, and it is doubtful many pages would be added to the Northern Gores since they just aren't near as visually impressive. Maybe just mention the Northern Gores on this page.

Great job on the page so far. It looks great. I hope to get into the Gores a lot more this Spring and Summer.

JonBradford

JonBradford - Mar 5, 2006 3:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Gore Range (northern)

Hmm,
I had been assuming that the northern boundary of the Gores was Gore Canyon but after reseaching it a little more thoroughly I see you are right. I have the same issue with the South Gores (Jaque Peak south to Buckeye Peak). I think I may add a chapter on these two subsections. I haven't been into the northern Gores at all, if you want to help with a description of that area I would appreciate it. I'll try and finish the page in the next week or so.
Thanks for your input Scott

Scott

Scott - Mar 6, 2006 12:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Gore Range (northern)

I don't know too much, but did a few hikes including Rock Creek one Fall and Walton Peak yesterday.

Briefly put (if you wanted to use this):

The Gore Range actually extends from north of Leadville to Rabbit Ears Pass, but the northern half of the range (north of Gore Canyon and the Colorado River) bears little if any resemblance to the more rugged peaks to the south. The northern Gore Range consists of a large forested plateau, and rolling peaks and hills. None of the peaks in the northern Gores rise to timberline; the highest peaks in the northern section are below 11,000 feet elevation.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Gore Range' main page