Viewing: 1-6 of 6

acoustichiker - Nov 9, 2015 9:33 am - Hasn't voted

Agreed!

My third attempt at Grandview Peak followed this exact route. We bicycled from my apartment in the mid avenues to picnic area 23 and reached Grandview in about an inch of snow, returning to my apartment in 9 hours. It was a beautiful hike, without too much bush-whacking. A very unique set of views of the Wasatch and surrounding areas.

I earlier (two winters ago) tried to reach the summit from a ridgeline closer to Cottonwood Gulch and was defeated by exhaustion and immenent dark.

This summer, I attempted to reach the summit from the Bountiful Skyline drive, but ran into an enormous NO TRESPASSING sign on the Great Western Trail. Does anyone have any information about private property closures along the GWT?

SpencerParkin - Jun 23, 2016 9:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Private Property Update

I hiked to Grandview Peak today from Session's Mountain Road. Along the way I ran into the private property sign at the pass. Fortunately, I also ran into one of the property owners (a Mr. Hardscrabble.) I asked him if it was okay for me to hike the GWT through his property. He said GWT-travelers have "right-of-way," but they can't go on the trails that connect to the GWT at the pass, or any other trail connecting to the GWT that encroaches on their land. I also let him know I planned to go to Grandview, and he seemed fine with it; so I'm assuming it was okay for me to leave the GWT on a side-trail (miles further on) that goes to the peak along a ridge that may form part of the property boundary.

When talking with him, I also tried to understand exactly what the property boundaries were. At the pass/saddle (where the first big sign is coming from the North), you can see down a canyon towards Morgan territory. They own that whole canyon. Looking the other way, they own the entire bowl area below Grandview peak, so don't take any shortcuts through it. This bowl area is the top of Mueller Park canyon. Over a decade ago, (before they owned the area, I hope), I did passed through the bowl area. There's an interesting structure that was built there, but it may be hidden from view by the evergreens. I believe it was nick-named "the church," because people would go there on Sunday to escape church.

Scott

Scott - Jun 24, 2016 11:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Private Property Update

Is there anyway you can draw your route on a map? I am wondering which saddle you are referring to.

SpencerParkin - Jun 24, 2016 3:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Private Property Update

I put the KMZ at the following link.

SessionsToGrandview.kmz

If that doesn't work, here's the raw URL...

https://ultimate-app.herokuapp.com/SessionsToGrandview.kmz

This KMZ is supposed to contain part of my route and a pin showing the saddle I'm talking about.

Scott

Scott - Jun 24, 2016 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Private Property Update

OK, thanks. That is good information.

It also appears on Google Earth that there's a new ATV track from that saddle and almost to the summit of Grandview Peak? How sad.

Scott

Scott - Jun 24, 2016 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Private Property Update

OK, thanks. That is good information.

It also appears on Google Earth that there's a new ATV track from that saddle and almost to the summit of Grandview Peak? How sad.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Grandview via City Creek North Fork' main page