Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.34829°N / 114.67222°W
Additional Information County: Lincoln
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8613 ft / 2625 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Grassy Mountain, a rarely climbed peak in Eastern Central Nevada, offers great views of the surrounding landscape. It is the highest point of the Fairview Range. On a clear day one can easily make out Wheeler Peak and the Great Basin. Grassy Mountain comes in as an "Error Range" peak on the Nevada P2000 Prominence list, coming in with 1,993 feet of Prominence.

Within the vicinity of Grassy Mountain are several other Nevada P2000 Prominence Peaks, most without a SummitPost Page at the time of this write-up. To the North is Dutch John Mountain. Further North from there is Mount Grafton. To the west is Shingle Peak and Silver Benchmark. To the SE is Mt. Wilson.


Grassy MountainGrassy Mountain from HWY 93.

Getting There

High Clearance Vehicle Highly Recommended

From Caliente, NV take Highway 93 North about 54 miles North just past Pony Springs. Turn left onto Sidehill Pass Rd (also known as Cave Valley Road). You will see Grassy Mountain to your West. This road takes you on the South Side of Grassy Mountain.

Once you turn left. Stay on the main road for about 6.18 miles. At this point turn right onto a dirt road and drive for Approx 1.96 miles. At this point, turn right at the fork and drive approx. 0.65 miles and fix a parking spot.

The Table below shows Latitude and Longitude coordinates for reaching this parking spot.



WPTDirectionsLatitudeLongitude Distance to Drive (mi)
WPT 1Turn Left off of HWY 9338° 19’ 45.7” N 114° 36’ 37.7” W 6.18
WPT 2Turn Right38° 18’ 36.8” N 114° 42’ 34.2” W 1.96; 6.18 miles from HWY 93

WPT 3
Turn right at Fork 38° 20’ 9.9” N 114° 42’ 27” W 0.65; 8.14 miles from HWY 93
WPT 4Park38° 20’ 32.6” N 114° 42’W 8.79 miles from HWY 93



Drive into Trailhead

Route

The easiest route would be to hike Grassy Mountain up the west ridge following this route. This route is class 2 and about 3 miles roundtrip. There are lots of trees and brush along this route too!

An alternative route would be to park over on the North side of Grassy Mountain off of Grassy Pass Road and hike south along the ridge. This could be a great parking spot of you wanted to get both Grassy Mountain and Dutch John Mountain, which is another Nevada P2000 Peak, on the North side of Grassy Road.



Red Tape

Silver Benchmark & Shingle PeakView West
There is NO RED TAPE to climb Grassy Mountain.

Camping

This is on BLM land. Camping is permitted on BLM land as long as you are more than 100 feet from a water source.

Lodging is available about 60 miles South in Caliente, NV.

Summit Views

Dutch John Mtn.Mt. Grafton and Dutch John Mtn
Mt. WilsonMt. Wilson to the SE

Weather

Click for Pioche, Nevada Forecast

External Links

  • Lists of John’s page on Grassy Mountain

  • Placenames page on Grassy Mountain

  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.