Grays and Torreys via Stevens Gulch

Grays and Torreys via Stevens Gulch

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Before You Go

If you are looking for an easily accessible, Class 1 stroll to the summit of a 14,000ft peak, then Grays and/or Torreys via Stevens Gulch could be for you. Great trails and guaranteed crowds ensure you will not get turned around or lost on your way to straddling the Continental Divide. Plus, if the weather cooperates, then you will have great views in all directions and even a chance to see some wildlife. (Note: For alpinists, there are at least two couloirs on the east-northeast face of Torreys that look like great snow climbs, and at least one is can be skied.)

Getting There
To access the Stevens Gulch Trailhead, take the Bakerville exit off of I-70. (Exit 221, approximately 7 miles west of Georgetown, Colorado.) The trailhead is approximately 4 miles south on CO321, also referred to as Stevens Gulch Road. If you have a vehicle with decent clearance, then prepare for a bumpy ride when the road is dry and slipping and sliding a little if the road is wet or snowy. Stay on CO321, and you can’t go wrong.

That said, if you are driving a car, then be prepared to walk 1.5 or 2 miles or hitch-hike because the road is in poor shape as of June 2012. Limited parking is available along the side of the road if you have a low-clearance vehicle, or you can take advantage of the parking area on the south side of the I-70 exit. Someone will pick you up if you don’t wish to walk.

The Trailhead
Ample parking is available at the trailhead, but I suggest arriving early because parking spaces will fill up quickly, especially on the weekend. There is space for setting up tents just past the main parking area and there is plenty of drinking water, though I strongly recommend purifying it. There is also an outhouse that I recommend using before you leave because there is little privacy along the route.

The Hike

The trailhead is at 39°39’38.93”N, 10547’04.73”W and at an elevation of 11,260ft (3,431m) right at the tree line. The hike to the base of the two peaks is very easy, and the trail is in great condition and obvious all of the way up. (Keep an eye out for mountain goats on your left!)

At 13,285ft (4,049m) a sign directs you to stay left and summit Grays or veer right and summit Torreys. The most popular path is to summit Grays, probably because it is less steep. I chose the path less traveled so I could summit Torreys, but I had to cross a snow field before reaching the 13,707ft (4,178m) saddle between the two peaks.

I then summited 14,267ft (4,348m) Torreys Peak and took photos of Longs Peak and the Indian Peaks to the north, Mount of the Holy Cross and the Vail Pass area to the west and the valleys below to the east and, of course, Grays Peak and connecting ridgeline to the south.

The wind was a bit chilly considering I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, so I hustled back down to the saddle and summited Grays where I snapped a photo of Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans before heading downhill.

Roundtrip was about 8 miles and took me just under 4 hours. Note, though, that I was moving quickly, stopped only at the summits or to let others pass and even did a little jogging here and there.

Final Thoughts and Links

Due to the peaks’ proximity to Denver and ease of climbing, expect parking at the trailhead to be scarce even on weekdays when the weather is nice. There were plenty of dogs on the trail and most were not on leashes, so feel free to bring your furry friends.

This trip was on 20 June 2012 after a very dry winter. There was only one snow field to cross at the time, but one could easily navigate around it. Obviously keep this in mind when planning the trip in the future.

Finally, if you prefer fewer people on the trail and don’t mind hiking a little further, then consider starting at the Loveland Pass Trailhead on Hwy 6…or choosing other peaks.

Links:
Google Maps--Georgetown, CO to exit 221
Torreys Peak Wikipedia
Grays Peak Wikipedia
Click here for a MUCH better trip report than this one!


Comments

No comments posted yet.