Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.72154°N / 121.5019°W
Additional Information County: Whatcom
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7080 ft / 2158 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hagan Mountain is a massif of several crags south of Mount Blum and north of Bacon Peak, surrounded by glaciers, and steep forested ridges. Every approach for this peak is difficult and taxing. Usually combined with a climb of Mount Blum, due to the committing nature of the approach.

Getting There

Coming from I-5, take Highway 20 east to Baker Lake Road. If taking the Watson-Blum Traverse Approach, at Baker Dam Road, turn right, and drive to Anderson Lakes Trailhead (high clearance vehicle may be needed). If approaching from Mount Climbers Trail, drive Baker Lake Road to its end at Baker River Trailhead.

Route

Southern Approach (Watson-Blum Traverse): From Bacon Peak, descend north off glacier and around several tarns, to follow heathered ridge (some steep downslopes) to saddle between Hagan Mountain and Bacon Peak. From small lake, bushwhack north up steep forest slopes past 2 cliffbands, until attaining open heather and grass on south side of Hagan. Continue up talus and scree couloir to SW end of Hagan Mountain crags. From glacier, scramble up slabs on south side to attain summit.

 

Northern Approach (Mount Blum Climbers Trail): From Baker Lake TH, follow Baker River Trail for 10 minutes to bridge. Cross bridge, proceed south toward Blum Creek. Just north of Blum Creek, look for faint path in brush (may be marked with flagging tape), and follow faint tread through brush upslope. Path goes mostly straight up ridge until 4000'. At 4000', veer south and traverse along side of ridge, toward Blum Lakes. At lower Blum Lake, ascend SE to 5600' on E-W trending ridge. Traverse S (rope up for glacier) to pass between south and middle Hagan Peaks.

 

Ascend south peak via north side to notch on upper east side. Traverse along south face on summit ridge. Go up spur on east, then navigate around to slabs on south that lead to summit.

 

Western Approach: according to the Beckey Guide Vol 3, there's a seldom-used trail on the north side of the ridge separating Blum and Hidden Creeks, just past the bridge. Trail ascends to 2000' and disappears in brush. Considerable bushwhacking to be expected past this point. From top of ridge, navigate around knobs and bumps until reaching Hagan Glacier. From there, converge with Southern Approach route to attain summit.

Red Tape

No special climbing permits required. Just backcountry camping permits if staying overnight.

When to Climb

This peak could be climbed any time of year, provided the road to Baker River Trailhead is open, but the best times to climb are spring, summer, and fall, when the days are longer, and the avalanche risk is lower.

Camping

As Hagan Mountain is located within the North Cascades National Park, and is across a pass from Mount Blum, cross-country camping rules apply. Backcountry permit is required, and parties are limited to 6 people (max 2 parties).

External Links

Add External Links text here.