mvsthanks Fred

mvs

Right on, more like $.80 cents if the page is $1.00 :D.
Okay I will find the German system too, though I hadn't heard of it. I'll work on that tomorrow afternoon - in the morning is a ski tour :))
Posted Feb 18, 2006 11:03 pm

NelsonAnother Source

Nelson

Great page. Here is another source you can leverage from. It includes a nice table with various other systems. It'a PDF file from the AAC:
International Grade Comparison Chart
Posted Feb 20, 2006 4:07 pm

mvsFinally done

mvs

Thanks Nelson it looks like a good source! I finally finished the Alpine Grade section. Let's all go climb an ED4 now :-)
Posted Mar 4, 2006 8:20 pm

Sebastian HammRe: Finally done

Sebastian Hamm

After ED follows ABO = "abominable"

for example: Petit Dru - Harlin/Robbins-Route
Posted Aug 15, 2007 2:30 pm

JScolesNice

JScoles

One of the best I have seen for a while. There was a realy good german one (in german of course and long out of print) which did much the same job
Posted Apr 7, 2006 8:34 pm

mvsRe: Nice

mvs

Thank you! Hey, your profile is very interesting. I'll have to hit you up for some good climb ideas in the alps this summer.
Posted Apr 11, 2006 7:29 am

WoundedKneeVery helpful

WoundedKnee

and well done.
Posted Jul 14, 2006 12:13 pm

jordansahlsWish I had seen this earlier!

jordansahls

This is really helpful, I have always been able to understand the Yosemite decimal system, but the others were a bit of an enigma to me. This is a great reference page, thanks a lot!
Posted Oct 2, 2006 9:03 pm

mvsRe: Wish I had seen this earlier!

mvs

Cool, glad it's been useful Jordan!
Posted Oct 4, 2006 1:19 pm

Erik BeelerThanks for

Erik Beeler

putting this up. Perhaps you could add the Water Ice (WI) and Alpine Ice(AI) grades here too?
Posted Dec 20, 2006 6:10 pm

mvsRe: Thanks for

mvs

It's a good idea, I will do that when I return from vacation, thx!
Posted Dec 21, 2006 5:00 am

Diego SahagúnGrades II+ and III-

Diego Sahagún

mvs,

I've found here (http://www.theuiaa.org/guidebook_standards.html - left and below) that there is no grades II+ and III- for the UIAA. I think that you have included them in your table for comparing with the Yosemite grades but I thought I had to say you.

Thanks
Posted Aug 21, 2008 6:31 am

mvsRe: Grades II+ and III-

mvs

Nice, good site. I removed those two grades, especially since I had no comments for them anyway. Thx again, all the best!
Posted Aug 22, 2008 7:47 am

gabrieleReal 3-point climbing

gabriele

for 2° UIAA - maybe better to explain that 3 point climbing means that one can move only one hand or one foot a time so : 3 fixed point climbing
... somebody intended it as "using" one hand :)
Posted Aug 21, 2008 8:31 am

mvsRe: Real 3-point climbing

mvs

Thanks Gabriele, I added some explanatory text there.
Posted Aug 22, 2008 7:46 am

Luciano136Great page!

Luciano136

I look at some European mountains sometimes and always pull my hair out trying to figure out the difficulty :-). Kind of funny since I am from Europe but only know the US system.
Posted Jun 5, 2009 6:25 pm

FabienenCordobaThe alpine grade explained

FabienenCordoba

Hi everyone,

You might be interested to know that contributors to camptocamp.org published an article explaining the alpine grade. I just translated it to english: http://www.camptocamp.org/articles/188413/en
Posted Nov 8, 2009 6:46 am

TimmyCAnd to think...

TimmyC

I was going to give you compliments on what a complete and effective set of comparisons you've made in the rating charts, giving real-world examples of how the confusing grade matrices apply to actual locations and climbs, but then I noticed that you'd totally missed out on the most important grading system of all!

Gentlemen, you've both forgotten your Washington roots! How can I compliment this page on its thoroughness when you have not included the dreaded bushwhack grading system? The horror! You, sirs, are slackers, clearly not worthy of my 10/10 vote. Harumph!
Posted Sep 4, 2012 1:51 pm

mvsRe: And to think...

mvs

Har! As Beckey said once of Washington's brushiest (and hardest) mountain climbs, "too many Green Spirits." :D
Posted Sep 4, 2012 5:44 pm

JoelSkokSo useful

JoelSkok

Always wondered why so many systems, guess we need world wide simplification. since modern mountaineering began in Europe, I give their effluent ways the nod....

Gret article, thanks for putting it together 10/10