Heaven's Peak

Heaven's Peak

The gully is located in the top center of this photo surrounded by red lines. Slighty to the right of the top of the scree cone with the vertical lines.
FlatheadNative
on Mar 9, 2008 11:44 pm
echoguy
on Mar 9, 2008 11:44 pm
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing
Image ID: 387016

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
distressbark

distressbark - Oct 1, 2010 5:13 pm - Voted 10/10

great route photo

Thanks for sharing. I kept this photo in mind as our group attempted the east face route of Heaven's Peak, and I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to properly identify this rather easy break in the Glacier Wall. Thanks again!

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Oct 1, 2010 5:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great route photo

Glad to help. How was it going through the snow at the top of the slab below the summit. A friend of mine told me it was super greasy this year.

distressbark

distressbark - Oct 4, 2010 6:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: great route photo

It was not passable the day we attempted. We were completely socked in by clouds above 7,000 feet, and by the time we reached the large slab just beneath the summit block, everything was dangerously slippery and we turned around. I think we probably could have made it on a sunnier day, but the cloud cover and cooler temps didn't allow for the slabs to dry out. By the time our last climber made his way down the above gully, it started to ferociously hail, so all in all we were lucky to get down safely. I'll have to give it a run some other year!

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Oct 4, 2010 6:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great route photo

We had a similar experience with lousy weather. We summitted and soon we heard thunder. By the time we were to the basin below it was pouring. Those rocks get dangerously slick. You made the right call turning around.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4