Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 39.67683°N / 105.66097°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9680 ft / 2950 m

Overview

This trailhead is at 9680 feet, and provides access to Mount Evans, Mount Spalding, and Gray Wolf Mountain via West Chicago Creek.


Getting there

Exit I-70 at exit 240 in Idaho Springs, then go south on Colorado-103 (CO-103) (there are signs for Mount Evans as well) for 6.5 miles. Turn right on a dirt road that is Forest Service Road-188 (FS-188). Follow FS-188 for 3 miles to the trailhead. (Right before the trailhead, West Chicago Creek Campground will be on the left.)

Latitude: 39.67683 N
Longitude: 105.66097 W

Camping

Since West Chicago Creek Campground only a couple hundred feet away, I'm not sure if camping is allowed on the trailhead.

Reservations can be made for the sites available, but there usually some that are first come-first serve. The cost per night for one of the sites is $13.

Checkout is at 2pm, so if you will be hiking far (like Mount Evans), you can pay for an extra day, or pack up before you leave for the day, in which case you can just park your vehicle at the trailhead.

Amenities at the campground include toilets and trash bins.

External sites

Recreation.org:
West Chicago Creek Campground

USDA Forest Service:
West Chicago Creek Campground

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.