Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis - Sep 22, 2013 3:51 am - Voted 10/10

I like the positive tone.

You manage to be hopeful and see the bright side and that is inspiring friend. You've also got some decent pictures here so we know you're building that summit-hunger again.

Castlereagh

Castlereagh - Sep 25, 2013 1:00 am - Voted 10/10

Sorry to hear

about the shittiness. Sucks that frustration in the mountains coincides with frustration in real life. Best of luck to you guy and best wishes that things turn around.

EastKing

EastKing - Sep 25, 2013 4:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sorry to hear

The key for me is to focus on the positives and try my best to get ready for next year season. There are others who have had far worse happen to them this year. I must now stay focused and plan out the 2014 season. Hopefully 2014 will have much more rock and snow and less trees.

ChrisJahn

ChrisJahn - Apr 23, 2014 9:17 am - Voted 10/10

Good account

"Some people see no more in climbing mountains than an escape from the harsh realities of modern times. This is not only uninformed but unfair. I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.” Walter Bonatti

EastKing

EastKing - Apr 26, 2014 1:30 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good account

I love this quote!!!

mvs

mvs - Apr 27, 2014 6:07 am - Hasn't voted

Amazing

You survive in America without a car and you don't live in NYC! I'm impressed :)

Do you know the Costco in Kirkland? One time, I was so frustrated that I wasn't getting out to the mountains, and I was getting weak and fat, and I didn't see when I could change it, and the next weekends were sunny but I always had to stay in town. Massively frustrated, we were leaving and as I got in the car I told my wife, "Nope. I'm going to walk home." I guess it was 15 miles or so. I had 5 bucks in my pocket. The effort and hours out alone made me feel better. By the time I stopped at an apple orchard for fresh squeezed cider with my 5 bucks, I was on an adventure: created from small, sad, "non-heroic" circumstances.

I felt much better through that dry patch for climbing because I'd exercised my will along the way in a symbolic effort to not feel beaten.

Alternatively, I was just a weirdo without a car :D. Keep dreaming EastKing!

CClaude

CClaude - Apr 27, 2014 11:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Hopefully

Hopefully, this year will be more kind. Someone posted on one of my trip reports, its not how hard of a punch you can take, but how often you get back up. I know how it goes, having lost the feelings in my hands, which has made climbing a bit more challanging, but the joy of just being in the moment doing it is worthwhile. Hope the summer goes well.

Hawkwind

Hawkwind - Apr 28, 2014 9:08 am - Hasn't voted

Onwards and upwards..

Just keep on puttin' one step infront of the other...head up and good things will continue to happen!

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Highlights from a Frustrating Summer' main page