Viewing: 1-3 of 3
DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Nov 30, 2008 6:43 pm - Voted 10/10

On the heights

most people would think that a page about the high points of the Netherlands was a joke, I guess the general impression is that Holland is mostly below sea level. I remember once at Schipol seeing a fingerpost with a fish on it about a metre above my head. Thanks for informing us that we are misconceived. I enjoyed reading about your hills.
cheers Johnnie

Proterra

Proterra - Dec 1, 2008 4:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: On the heights

Well, that's partly true... Holland is indeed mostly below sea level, (about 85%) but Holland is just the western two provinces. The Randstad conurbation is home to 9 million people, and most of it lies below sea level, except for the city centres which were mostly built upon sand ridges laid down by the rivers. When these cities grew, they expanded into the low-lying peat bogs, which were drained and as a result underwent subsidence, causing them to fall below sea level. The Netherlands as a whole (all twelve provinces) is for about one quarter below sea level, another 25% is between 0 and 5 feet above sea level, and the rest is higher. Only 2% of the Netherlands is more than 50 metres (160 feet) above sea level, and except for a few dunes near the coast, and a few ice-age remnants in the middle, all of this lies within 20 miles of the German border. I just saw a bunch of highpoint pages popping up, so I thought it would be funny to create one for the Netherlands as well.

Cheers,
Clint.

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Dec 1, 2008 5:49 am - Voted 10/10

Re: On the heights

Nice one Clint,
I thought I detected a hint of fun in your otherwise academic description. (and thanks for the other interesting information.
cheers Johnnie

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Highpoints of the Netherlands' main page