Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 33.39070°N / 105.8117°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 1, 2005
This is my first attempt at hiking steep snow. Ruidoso had record snow falls the 2 days prior to our arrival. The ski area and the mountain area covered in deep snow. Our first problem is finding the trail. However someone had marked it in the snow. Our friend Jesus had never been at this altitude of a hike before. He was wearing all-cotton clothes! A big no-no. We had to stop and scotchguard all his clothes. The hike begins with solid ice, very dangerous. Thank god for our crampons.Thank God for great weather. Hiking up the steep snow is arduos to say the least. The altitude, the weight of our packs coupled with the physical strains having to step in and out of the deep snow makes this a tough task. Jesus is having a real hard time. This is unlike any physical activity he has ever attempted. The trail was easy to follow. I have hiked this trail in much drier conditions. All this snow really changes the landscape. The snow is 2-3 feet deep in places. Trail 25 is clearly a tough task. I am very tired myself. However perseverance gets me through. Jesus finally gives out. Me and Steve continue to trail 78. Not too bad, not as steep. Still a good workout. Steep snow really gives me an appreciation and respect for nature and the elements. From the summit of Lookout mountain, the whole area looks like a soft white comforter covering it.

Comments

No comments posted yet.