Hite Crossing/ Halls Crossing, Utah

Hite Crossing/ Halls Crossing, Utah

Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Additional Information Object Type: Colorado River crossings
Additional Information County: San Juan (edge)

Similar names/ Different histories:

The mighty Colorado River has always presented a challenge to travelers. Running at average 40,000 cubic feet per second: even today, there are basically 3 places to cross: Moab, Hite, and Halls. In the 1920's the State residents successfully changed the river's name from the Grand River, hence the name Grand Junction (with the Gunnison River) in Colorado. In Utah, the more recent Lake Powell has filled the Colorado River channel at these two locations. Names similar, locations about 50 river-miles apart or 90 road-miles apart.

Getting there (Both crossings)

About 55 miles southeast of Hanksville on Utah highway 95, a steel and concrete bridge crosses the water. It is called Hite Crossing since Cass Hite (considered an outlaw) had a ferry there in the 1870's for the travelers. A small settlement here was covered by rising Lake Powell. Boats, trailers, and a concrete launch can be found here. Don't miss the small turnoff called Hite Overlook. Scenic, but not very busy and sometimes lacking enough water for a usable lake, lodging is not needed.
About 95 miles south of Hanksville on Utah highway 95 then taking left fork called Utah highway 276, Halls Crossing is found. It is named after the Hall family in Escalante. The ferry (closed in winter)for the cars and trucks belongs to the State as part of the highway. Leaving at the top of the hour, it travels from the small city of Bullfrog (with services) to the other side. The next hour, it returns. Amazingly, highway 276 joins up with the first highway 95 near Bears Ears, which is another report.