Hockenhorn Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Jurgen

Jurgen - Aug 31, 2014 5:20 pm Date Climbed: Aug 31, 2014

West ridge  Sucess!

A one day climb from our house in Bern. Two trains and one bus brought us to Selden where we started our ascent at 9.15 am. Hiked up to the Lötschepass and ascended the west ridge (which isn't really a ridge). Reached the summit around 2 pm. We then descended back to the pass and all the way down to Ferden where we missed the bus by 5 minutes.

Great trip: not too serious but still a real mountain.

Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Aug 16, 2010 1:50 am Date Climbed: Aug 14, 2010

bad weather weekend  Sucess!

I intended to spend a weekend on the Loetschenpass to enjoy the beautiful views. Friday: we drove to Kandersteg and took the taxi bus to Selden and hiked to Loetschenpass all in fog. Saturday we had some views in the morning but soon we were stuck in clouds and snowfall started what made the trail on the blocks at the west ridge a bit tricky. Therefore Heike and Reimar turned around just 10min before the summit that I reached alone. We spent the afternoon in the hut - heavy rain outside, that turned into snow during the night. Sunday we descended to Kummenalp and hiked on Loetschtaler Hoehenweg trail before descending to Ferden. Some rays of sun, nice views to Loetschental and many berries to eat! With bus and train back to Kandersteg. So the weekend was okay but I have to return some time.

roadmountain

roadmountain - Aug 26, 2008 12:32 pm Date Climbed: Aug 18, 2008

Route Climbed: West ridge  Sucess!

Nice route with snowy conditions. Together with my climbingpartner Bart Verstegen and three friends.

simonl - Aug 11, 2008 10:17 am Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2008

easy day from zurich  Sucess!

zurich-bern-spitz 06:00
spitz-goppenstein 08:15
goppenstein -wiler bus (connecting) 2.20chf with half tax one-way
wiler-lauchernalp cable car (connecting) 8chf with half tax one-way
started climb at around 9:50
first section is steep cow meadows, then flat boulder field to lötschenpass with a small patch of snow just before the hut.
there is no signpost at the lötschenpass hut to hockenhorn, but the trail is easily picked up following the piles of stones.
The section is fairly flat, to the small glacier (quite icy) but ok without crampons. then another ice patch (which can be gone around to the left) I tackled it with crampons and it was fun & safe.
the scramble to the summit is quite short and also fun, with no steps requiring use of your hands ( a climber with no arms overtook me here).
summit at 13:30
descent easy again,i stopped to make a few rock piles. then back across the ice (I did both sections with crampons this time).
had lunch at the hut (soup & sausages), climber with no arms was finishing up already :(

retraced the route back, got to lauchernalp about 5 minutes before the 17:18 cablecar (the linedancer convention just emptied), then onto the bus and 18:05 goppenstein train to bern, and back to zurich..

weather was wonderful. my first 3000m climb.

singularity

singularity - Oct 24, 2007 6:20 pm Date Climbed: Jun 5, 2006

from gastertal  Sucess!

I climbed the hockenhorn with some friends. Very nice mountain.
It was a pity that we had no panoramy because of the foggy weather

Noah (Oregon)

Noah (Oregon) - Aug 17, 2007 3:03 pm Date Climbed: Aug 13, 2007

Beautiful Mix  Sucess!

This mountain is special because it presents a wide array of alpine experiences. My brother-in-law, Barthold, and I climbed from Gasterntal. We found the mix of steep forest, grassy "alm", wide glacier, rocky outcroppings, amiable hut, high plateau and rocky summit ridge to be just what we wanted in a climb. Even the number of people on the mountain was nice; no crowds but still good company. The Hockenhorn has a little of everything. Nice. See my trip report for more details.

Henning Lege - Jul 21, 2006 12:55 pm Date Climbed: Jul 2, 2006

normal (W-Ridge)  Sucess!

Returning 11 years after reintroducing a very good friend to the mountains after very difficult times.
This time a relaxed day in perfect weather with 6 DAV Freiburg fellows.

Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Aug 24, 2004 7:04 pm

Route Climbed: West Ridge Date Climbed: 30 July 1993  Sucess!

Climbed with Moni & Tanya Spicker along with friend Sarah. A first hut stay and nice alpine peak for the teens.

Moni

Moni - Aug 24, 2004 6:02 pm

Route Climbed: West rdige up, South Variation down Date Climbed: 30 July 1993  Sucess!

With Fred, daughter Tanya who was then 13 years old and her friend Sarah. A very fine trip!

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Hockenhorn' main page