Hua Shan Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3

MSDana - Dec 11, 2006 8:17 pm - Voted 10/10

msdana

Very impressive, and a more natural approach to the, "Hike from Hell" that I have previously viewed. Thanks for sharing, most insightful.

Jeff12633

Jeff12633 - Dec 31, 2006 6:04 am - Hasn't voted

My Hua Shan Experience

I did Hua Shan in 2000 at a time when US State Department travel advisories against China were just being lifted. I was therefore the only American--and indeed one of only 2 Westerners--on Hua Shan that entire day. I found the first few miles from the trailhead to the big saddle where the cable car ends to be far more peaceful and solitary than the remaining portions above, for nearly everyone on the mountain that day took the cable car up and spent their day wandering among the 5 peaks.

Overall this is a magnificent hike, the near-vertical dropoffs and bright white granite making for spectacular (if somewhat vertiginous) scenery.

atavist

atavist - Jul 25, 2010 3:40 am - Voted 10/10

More info

Nice page! Though I didn't realize this 'mountain/rock' existed until after I drafted up a new page. I suggest you add 'Huashan' to the query name so it is easier to find for others.

Here's some other info might be useful.
- The highest peak, Nan Feng or South Peak is often listed w/ altitude 2160m.
- There is a cable car and two main hiking routes (4-8 hours). The normal route starts near the visitor center. The soldier’s route which starts beside the cable car can be reached using a bus shuttle (15 minutes, 10 rmb). This route is a bit more direct and steeper. The most harrowing sections can now be bypassed since the addition of metal staircases a few years back.
- Hua Shan is also home to ‘the world’s most dangerous hiking path’, in Chinese called Changong Zhandao or ‘Floating in the Air’ Road. Recently, this has essentially become a via ferrata with harnesses and a separate admission fee. (http://www.ssqq.com/archive/vinlin27d.htm)
- The area has major potential for rock climbing but until now very limited climbing has taken place. One notable ascent, June 2009, completed by Brit Leo Houlding, Carlos Suarez and Chinese Zhiming Wang tackled the 600m west face and was named Northern Celestial Masters. (http://vimeo.com/5974906)
- Tickets to enter the mountain area cost 120 RMB. Half price discount during off-season and for students.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Hua Shan' main page