Indian Canyon Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3

O_Chemist - Oct 9, 2006 4:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Beauty!

I would caution that there are definitely some spots where the route we chose bordered on class 4 climbing to get over some of the larger boulders. We had some folks with us who are not very experienced and they became somewhat uncomfortable. This one is a LOT of work and very tiring, but definitely worth it as a fun, and historic, scramble.

amuirman

amuirman - Aug 17, 2007 4:23 pm - Hasn't voted

John Muir's Indian Canyon

This is from My First Summer in the Sierra, Chapter 7: "A Strange Experience"

August 3

...I made my way through the gap discovered last evening, which proved to be Indian Cañon. There was no trail in it, and the rocks and brush were so rough that Carlo [the dog] frequently called me back to help him down precipitous places. Emerging from the cañon shadows, I found a man making hay on one of the meadows, and asked him whether Professor Butler was in the valley. "I don't know," he replied; "but you can easily find out at the hotel....

briburt - Mar 3, 2013 1:49 am - Voted 10/10

Great hike

This is an epic Yosemite hike. Fairly straight forward hike. You can go west towards Yosemite Fall or east and head down Snow Creek back to the valley. The telephone line provides Tuolumne Meadows with telephone service. Also, there are ladders in one section that AT&T installed back in the 80's that are necessary to get up one section. They are stable and in good repair. Watch for rockfall caused by the hiker above you while ascending. Also, many have been "ledged out" while descending this hike. I think it is best, safest and most enjoyable to ascend. While ascending don't forget to turn around to enjoy the views. This is one hike that is definitely off the beaten path and is unlikely you will encounter any other hikers until you reach the rim. Historically, the Indians used this route to ascend to the rim as it was the easiest route in the Valley during the time. If you read "The Discovery of Yosemite" by Bunnell you will notice he also chased Natives up this route.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Indian Canyon' main page