Ink Wells - Gooseneck Glacier Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Alpinist

Alpinist - Jul 10, 2006 3:22 pm - Voted 7/10

Reservation fees in 2006

July 2006 - I just booked passage through the Wind River Reservation to the Ink Wells trailhead. The same price was quoted for either 2 or 3 people. The current cost is $600 round trip for the transportation (total), plus $45 round trip per person for tribal permit fees. That comes out to $245 pp r/t for 3 people, or $345 pp r/t for 2 people.

Ramona still handles transportation through the reservation. Her number is 307-486-2318. She lives next door to the Crowheart store.

Pick-up is normally from the Crowheart store at 8am. Return pick-up from the Ink Wells trailhead is 11am-12pm. You can leave your car at Ramona's house.

A tribal permit is required to cross the reservation. Permits are available from the Crowheart store. The store opens at 7:30am on Saturdays.

bchiker - Jun 26, 2011 1:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Shuttle & Reservation Fees 2011

Shuttle fees in 2011 are $125 per person plus the Reservation Trespass fee of $25/day for the day in and out and a $5 conservation stamp. Total, $305 per person in and out. Up to 6 people can travel in one group. Ramona O'Neil runs the shuttle (307) 486-2318. The Wind River Indian Reservation Ranger Station will have information as fees change (307) 455-2466.

markandtina@hotmail.com - Sep 14, 2022 10:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Update on the shuttle service 9/10/22

We just finished climbing Gannett Peak via the Ink Wells Trail. I wanted to update the information. Sadly, Ramona passed away last December. Her daughter Emme runs the shuttle service now. She can still be reached by calling 307-349-3859. She will set up a shuttle time and date for you. It sounds like she is running a truck up to the trail head about every day of the summer from the beginning of July to September, to take hikers to the trailhead and to pick them up and bring them back down. Also, fees have changed. It is now $350 a person for a round trip shuttle to and from the trailhead. Also, you will need to purchase a fishing license for 2 days to allow you to go on the reservation. The fee for a 2 day fishing license for an out of stater is $100. So the total price to hike 15 miles to the upper camp instead of 24 miles is $450. Also, just a side note. Climbing Gannett in September is great, there were no bugs and there was only one real creek crossing. However, make sure that you bring rock climbing gear as well as your crampons and snow gear. The bergschrund was completely impassable and we had to climb the rocks on the side of the glacier, which involves some pretty steep patches. There are some fixed rappel stations on the rocks.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Ink Wells - Gooseneck Glacier' main page