Jahrzahlwand Icefall

Jahrzahlwand Icefall

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.94089°N / 12.05818°E
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: II / WI 3+
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Jahrzahl Icefall is located in the Ahrntal Valley, South Tirol, Italy.
Its easy to reach and located 30 minutes beside the road from Sand to Rein.
Height above sea level: 1560 m
Direction : North

Getting There

Coming from Sand in direction to Rein the icefall is located between the second and the third Avalanche Gallery, coming from Rein down to Sand, park behind the first Avalanche Gallery, a kind of bridge that is built to protect the street of avalanches.
Walking up a small path on the right side through the wood until you reach the brooke bed.
Jahrzahlwand Icefall

Follow this bed in direct line up to the Icefall seen from the wood.

Route Description

The Jahrzahlwand Icefall offers a wide area, more than 50 meters , space enough for more roped partys.
Jahrzahlwand Icefall

The first length offers an easy start, in great compact ice WI2 45meters.
Jahrzahlwand Icefall

The second length is a little bit more difficult, also wonderful compact ice WI 3+ 50 meters.
Jahrzahlwand Icefall

The third length is again a more easy one, but longer than the first two lengths WI1-2 60meters.
The finishing last length requires at last all your power after the long ascent WI3+ for 50 meters.

The exit is on the top of the icefall to the left direction, descending through the wood down to the entry of the Icefall.

Essential Gear

Full ice climbing equipment
ice tools,
crampons,
harness,
two 60 meter half ropes
helmet and of course some ice screws.
Snowshoes for the approach might be needful but not necessary
In this case avalanche gear is commendable, depending on the snow conditions.

External Links

The link to Rein in Taufers

http://www.hochgall.com/