Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.42340°N / 105.8341°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10511 ft / 3204 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jefferson Hill from Jefferson CreekJefferson Hill from Jefferson Creek


As far as “hills” go, this one gets a gold star. Jefferson Hill is a rugged, handsome little hill that provides for fun scrambling and big-country vistas. The summit affords expansive views of the Kenosha Mountains to the east, especially the North Twin Cone (12,323 ft.) and South Twin Cone (12,265 ft.). All this can be enjoyed in a relatively brief outing requiring some bushwacking and enjoyable scrambling.

Jefferson Hill presents a steep and bold rocky face to the eastern viewer, but the western slope is more gentle and forgiving.


Colorado Rank: 2,036th highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 331 feet
Mountain Range: Front Range
USGS Quad: Jefferson
Trails Illustrated Map: #105 (Tarryall Mts., Kenosha Pass)

*Rank and Prominence Reference: Lists of John

Getting There

Closer view of Elk Herd near Ohler GulchElk Herd near Ohler Gulch
Final view of Elk Herd near Ohler GulchCloser view of Elk Herd near Ohler Gulch




Jefferson Hill is just a few miles northwest of Hwy 285 via nicely graded dirt roads accessible via standard motor vehicle.


Jefferson Hill_Getting There Map

Red Tape

Jefferson Hill from the beaver pondsJefferson Hill from the beaver ponds
North Twin Cone & South Twin ConeNorth Twin Cone & South Twin Cone



Jefferson Hill is contained within a National Forest Service Fee Area. Access to this area and facilities requires payment of a $5 entry fee at the entry guard station or un-manned kiosk.

Camping & Lodging

There are two national forest campgrounds right near Jefferson Hill, which operate only during the summer months.


Aspen CampgroundLodgepole Campground
  • 12 campsites
  • Elevation: 9,900 ft.
  • Picnic tables, fire rings and a vault toilet
  • Reservations accepted
  • 35 campsites
  • Elevation: 9,900 ft.
  • Picnic tables, fire rings and a vault toilet
  • Reservations accepted.


Summit ridge pinesSummit ridge limber pines

Weather & Seasons

Winter & Spring: Due to seasonal closures of Forest Service Roads, Jefferson Hill is accessible between early summer and late Fall, depending on snow pack. The recreation area stays open later in the season than the nearby campgrounds, but the Forest Service will close the vehicle gate once winter sets in.

Summer: Expect insane crowds and limited parking in this popular area during the summer. Unless you can visit during the week, I would recommend avoiding this recreation area during the summer months to enjoy some solitude.

Fall: Fall is a pleasant time to visit Jefferson Hill, but I suggest getting there before the snow flies to keep the summit scramble more pleasant and to minimize the distance of your walk should snow conditions require the Forest Service to close the vehicle gate.

Zone Forecast for Jefferson, CO



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.