Viewing: 1-20 of 22 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

Bubba SuessIs this all?

Bubba Suess

I hope not. The Jemez are a great area and a LOT more could and should be said about them. What is their geology? What is their human history? How are they distinct from the San Juans to the north? What peaks are in the range? What wilderness areas? In sum, why would anyone want to go there? I think a description of the range ought to be enticing. The crater is spectacular and ought to be pointed out. Bandelier could be explained in much greater detail. What about the Dome Wilderness?

More pictures are also a must, and not just of Bandelier.

Also, you need to attach all the peaks in the range with SP pages to this page. I think there are two or three. Also, the elevation is 11,000+ at Chicoma Peak, not the 7,000 feet you have listed. Lastly, and this is admittedly nitpicking, the NM in the name is somewhat redundant.

I note you are a new member, so these suggestions are offered constructively. It is my hope they are recieved that way. I have personally spent a lot of time here and think they deserve a worthy page. Here is an excellent example:

www.summitpost.org/area/range/405344/south-san-juan-range-colorado.html

Good Luck!
Posted May 30, 2008 12:11 pm

StumblingBearJemez Mts

StumblingBear

Right you are, there is much to be said about the Jemez and that is why I started this page...was surprised it wasn't already here. I lived in New Mexico 21 years and worked and played in all areas of the region so there will be more. Sorry SP isn't my full time job, so I will be working as time permits, in the mean time, others are welcome to contribute.SB
Posted May 30, 2008 11:04 pm

Bubba SuessRe: Jemez Mts

Bubba Suess

I am glad to hear it is still being developed. You might add an "under construction" heading to it.
Posted May 31, 2008 12:26 am

hans.schenkJemez Area

hans.schenk

Thanks for doing a page on the Jemez! To put my two cents in...don't forget Battleship Rock, Fenton Lake State Park, Hot Springs, Soda Dam, Jemez Falls, the east fork of the Jemez, and the Pueblos that are in the area - particularly the Jemez Pueblo (great Fry Bread!). As far as I know, there are four other pages that could be added as children...I've already added my own (Tent Rocks). The other three that I am aware of are Chicoma Mountain, Caballo Mountain, and White Rock Crags. Otowi Peak (Buckman Mesa) is also a possibility for adding since it is connected to the Pajarito Plateau. But I am not sure and you may want to check on its location. Thanks again!
Posted Jul 5, 2008 1:28 pm

StumblingBearRe: Jemez Area

StumblingBear

I am glad to have put the page up and delighted others have added to it. I still have photos to add and it looks like I will be headed out that way in a couple of weeks, haven't been there in several years. I am also looking up some of the geology as that too is a great and interesting area of discussion. So I plod on...and thanks for your interest!
Posted Jul 14, 2008 9:40 pm

Bubba SuessLinks

Bubba Suess

I totally agree. Here are some of the links:

Chicoma:

StumblingBearRe: Links

StumblingBear

Thanks for the links!
Posted Jul 14, 2008 9:41 pm

scotthsuPajarito Mtn

scotthsu

Hi, I just started putting together a page on Pajarito Mountain and have attached it as a child to your page. Like you, this is not my full-time job, so progress will be in fits and starts. Cheers!
Posted Sep 18, 2008 4:38 pm

StumblingBearRe: Pajarito Mtn

StumblingBear

Thanks for your additions, as it says this is a member-built site so whatever your contribution..its welcomed!!
Posted Sep 28, 2008 9:20 pm

Bubba SuessA note.

Bubba Suess

Here is a reminder to ATTACH the pages for those peaks in the Jemez Mountains. One of the primary reasons area pages exist is to make it easier to find information on the peaks in the range. Links have been provided in these comments for all the pages in the Jemez. It is easy to do and I can explain the process, if necessary. The value of this page would be increased considerably if you did this.
Posted Sep 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Bubba SuessOne more time...

Bubba Suess

You will note that people have attached their mountain pages to this page, since those peaks are in the Jemez Mountains. The purpose of a page on a range is to bring together all the summits in that range, so that it is easier for people to find them. Thus, to fulfill the purpose of this page, here are the remaining Jemez summits that are unattached and have no home:

Chicoma:
www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/153611/chicoma-mountain.html

Caballo:
www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=153213&context_id=173461

Cerro Pedernal:
www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=154399&context_id=365973

Otowi/buckman:
www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=275588&context_id=

And a few others:

Frijole Canyon:
www.summitpost.org/canyon/446768/frijoles-canyon.html

Bandelier NM:
www.summitpost.org/area/range/444038/bandelier-national-monument.html

If you need help attaching things, I would be glad to help. Your page is definitely improving.
Posted Dec 9, 2008 2:07 am

Garon CorizAnother Peak

Garon Coriz

Don't forget about Cerro Pedernal.
Posted Jan 8, 2009 6:48 pm

StumblingBearRe: Another Peak

StumblingBear

I believe it is on there. Maybe I added it since your post, thanks!
Posted Jan 15, 2009 10:24 pm

Bubba SuessRe: Another Peak

Bubba Suess

Actually, Sisyphus, the pages author attached a few days ago after I told him about the Jemez page.
Posted Jan 15, 2009 10:51 pm

scotthsusouth facing meadows

scotthsu

anyone ever wonder why several peaks in the los alamos vicinity have south-facing meadows of various sizes near the summits? keep in mind that the summits themselves are forested, so these meadows are not above tree-line. Examples include Pajarito Mountain, Cerro Grande, Caballo Mountain, and Chicoma Mountain. I'm sure there are others.
Posted Apr 2, 2009 9:45 pm

StumblingBearRe: south facing meadows

StumblingBear

South-facing and west-facing slopes are dryer,so won't support trees. Trees that could grow in less moisture could not survive the shorter growing season(colder tepertures)at elevation. The meadows are above tree line on the south side and below on the north or east sides. "treeline" is a relative term, a function of moisture, temperature,solar radiation,etc which are usually determined by elevation.From sunrise to noon is the coolest part of the day, from noon til sunset is the hottest part of the day so the south and west slopes get the heat of the day(where does the snow melt first, not in the shadows).
Posted Apr 9, 2009 12:25 pm

scotthsuRe: south facing meadows

scotthsu

thanks for the (very logical) answer! edit (4/22/09): however, this explanation doesn't quite explain the open meadow on the NE side of Caballo (which I only recently noticed).
Posted Apr 9, 2009 5:50 pm

StumblingBearRe: never been.

StumblingBear

I first found the Jemez Mts by a promise one December day of a soak in a hot spring. The offer was made in the Holiday Inn parking lot in El Paso,TX. So who could resist? We drove the couple of hundred miles and soaked as the snow came down. Doug Robinson taught me some rock climbing there and now there are mt bikers there and to the west in the Rio Puerco basin...lots of great 2 track. So I think its always worth some time especially if someone at one of the Pueblos is making fry braed.
Posted May 5, 2009 10:48 pm

StumblingBearRe: never been.

StumblingBear

No. There are a lot of hot springs in New Mexico and I have soaked in a number of them, but sorry I don't know the names of most. Is that the spring in Rio Grande Gorge near Taos...as seen in the movie "Easy Rider"?
Posted May 9, 2009 8:19 pm

Liba KopeckovaAnd Gilman Tunnels...

Liba Kopeckova

I think that Jemez is such a vast and diverse area... it is so hard to cover it all. Perhaps you can share this page with some of the locals. I used to live in New Mexico, and Jemez was one of my favorite places to go.
Posted May 11, 2010 10:53 am