Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 11, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Greely Ponds from 112

Hoping to XC ski for the first time this season yesterday on the Lincoln Woods Trail, not enough ground cover to prevent damage to my planks so I went to plan "b".

Plan "B" ) to hike into Greely Ponds Scenic Area from Rt112. A bit of a late start was compounded by several blow-downs that I stopped to clear. The well packed trail went around and through all five I cleared, leading me to believe no one carry's a saw anymore... Made it as far as the first crossing of the South Fork of Hancock Brook where the crossing looked a bit sketchy, so I decided to retreat. Warmer temps have melted some of the snow pack and swollen the smaller streams and rivers and compromised ice bridges. I didn't feel like having a swim, or drowning my camera... All and all though, it's always good to get out a bit, always good to do a bit of trail maintainance, and enjoy the peaceful woods under light snow falling. The perk of the day was bumping a moose who had bedded down about 50 yrds off the trail to my right, no pic sadly, too much brush and cover for a clear shot, and the fading light was flat and lacking contrast.

There's always another day...

Comments

No comments posted yet.