Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.27700°N / 122.215°W
Additional Information County: Skamania
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4314 ft / 1315 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The view from Johnston Ridge
The view from Johnston Ridge

Johnston Ridge is a world famous sub-peak located in Mount Saint Helens National Monument. Virtually millions of tourist have been on this high point on a ridge since the opening of the Johnston Ridge Observatory. There is even a museum roughly 100 feet from the true high point of this ridge. People come from all over the world to head up to the Johnston Ridge to get a good look at the destructed power of the blast of Mount Saint Helens. Even almost 40 years after the eruption the scars lie evident across the landscape. The true high point of Johnston Ridge will give you a great shot of this amazing view. Unluckily for the typical climber and luckily for the typical tourist the hike from the parking area only requires a 3/4 mile and 200 foot elevation gain walk from the parking area via the Eruption Trail. This "trail" is a paved walking path that passes by the visitors center and then goes left to the high point. of the ridge. If you just wish to go to Johnston Ridge then head to the top and then follow the paved path to the parking area where a food truck with a decent assortment of food awaits you. For most though on this website Johnston Ridge is just the beginning of a great day up either Harry's Ridge, Coldwater, Blastzone Butte or a combination of all three. 

The view from Johnston Ridge
Mount Saint Helens from Johnston Ridge

Because this high point is a tourist trap I know why it was never put on this site beforehand. To a major hiker this is cheesy to say the least. It also does not have enough prominence (273 feet) to be consider truly a separate peak. And honestly it is just not very desirable to many people on this website. But this is a very well named high point that has 360 views. It is also very notable from many other summits throughout the park. And frankly the pictures from this highpoint are nothing short of awesome. So let's welcome the  Johnston Ridge to the website.   

Johnston Ridge from the east
Johnston Ridge from the east

Getting There

VIA THE JOHNSTON RIDGE OBSERVATORY: From I-5 get off on Exit 49 and east on Route 504. Stay on the road for  52 miles or the end of the road. This will be the Johnston Ridge Observatory.

Route

The view from Johnston Ridge
On the paved path looking at Coldwater Peak

Normally I would put up a map right here but getting to the top of Johnston Ridge is frankly extremely obvious in summer. Because the road is closed in winter this route will becoming much longer but yet again quiet obvious. It actually would make a good winter snowshoe provided the road is closed. .

Red Tape

The visitors center requires an $8 per person fee. I brought my America the Beautiful Pass and I was good. They also take a Northwest Forest Pass but that is only good for one person. Also you cannot walk off-trail while in close proximity to the Johnston Ridge Observatory. Walking off the paved path will result in a $100 fine. 

When to Climb

In summer this is a tourist trail and usually is only a starting point of a much longer hike. In winter though this is a much longer trip requiring a hike or snowshoe all the way from the Coldwater Creek Trailhead.

The view from Johnston Ridge
The view from Johnston Ridge

Camping

No camping is allowed at the Johnston Ridge Observatory. .

External Links

Johnston Ridge Peakbagger Page

Official Link to the Johnston Ridge Observatory