July 12, 2005 nearly 80...

July 12, 2005 nearly 80...

July 12, 2005 nearly 80 degrees and still plenty of snow
jaygeekray
on Jul 21, 2005 9:12 am
Image ID: 115869

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Allan Blasdale

Allan Blasdale - Jun 29, 2006 9:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Great shot

I think this is a great shot! Gaylor isn't really much to look at but its area is one of the most glorious in the entire Sierra, and you captured that. Nice to see MacClure and mammoth in the background from this trail. Did you go on up to the Mine?

jaygeekray

jaygeekray - Jul 25, 2006 2:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great shot

Allan, Thank you for the kind words. But as you know, it is so beautiful there that it is hard not to get a nice photo. The photos of Gaylor from the saddle don't accurately reflect the steepness of the upper lake side of the peak. And after scrambling down that side, this photo doesn't do it justice either. With regards to the mine, my older son and I made it to the first building up the trail. If you look closely at the white speck on the trail near the lake, you can see my younger son (15 at the time) sitting on a rock (trust me). He was hampered by the lingering effects of a strange reaction to an insect bite suffered a few days earlier in San Fran. So we cut our hike short to get back to him and also to my wife and daughter, who were waiting for us back on the saddle. Do you get to this area often?

Allan Blasdale

Allan Blasdale - Jul 27, 2006 10:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great shot

I go every single year; spend about 16 weeks each year in the range. I leave in exactly 2 weeks for a 14 day base camp down in Humphreys basin, a high elevation area (we will be camping at 11, 441)west of Owens valley. But the Gaylor lakes region is a place I go in the early morning, and stay there all day; I go to T(ioga) P(ass) R (esort) TPR, since 1963. It's 3 miles from Gaylor lakes, or less if you scranble directly up the ridge behind the cabins, and love it. And no, I don't fish, but there is so much else to do, I don't miss that.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3