Viewing: 1-5 of 5
chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Mar 12, 2011 11:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Big job

This will be quite a project! Hope you stick with it till it reaches the level expected of a national park page on SP. One thing you'll want to add early on--this being Summitpost--is an overview of the ranges and peaks in the park. You'll also want to discuss the access and character of the distinct regions of the park--Brooks Camp is one area, but the Shelikof Strait side of the park is very different.

One function of a page like this is to assemble a lot of useful external links in one place. Here's one relating to what may the highest peak in the park (it's actually debatable whether this one or Denison is higher): http://www.climb.mountains.com/Classic_Peaks_files/National_Park_Classics_files/Griggs_Climb.shtml

Congratulations on your ambition in taking this on!

MPetrick

MPetrick - Mar 12, 2011 11:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Big Job

Yeah. I'll need help, because I only know Brooks Camp and the Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes.

I'm SUPER new to SP, so d'you have any suggestions on how I could get some knowledgeable partners? Is there such a thing as co-owning a page?

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Mar 13, 2011 1:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Big Job

Yes, there is co-owning. I co-own a mountain page regarding Morne Diablotin with a Lolli, a Swedish user--neither one of us had enough good material for a page, but between us we could sort of put something together. The hard part is to find you a mate for Katmai, because there aren't many active Alaskan users. I myself have never been to Brooks and have only barely touched the other side of the park. SP user Steve Gruhn (or maybe it's SteveGruhn, one word) might have some people he could put you in touch with.

In your comment below, you ask for a model NP page. I think quite a good, standard one that would give you some realistic ideas is the Great Smokies page: http://www.summitpost.org/great-smoky-mountains/210493
Note the mini descriptions of peaks with links to where you can find out more. For pictures, if you find something on the web that works, you can often e-mail and get permission to use it.

PS--I like those panos you are posting today!

MPetrick

MPetrick - Mar 13, 2011 12:11 am - Hasn't voted

Best of

Are there any NP pages that are completely flawless and thorough? I'm looking for a template to follow.

Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Mar 14, 2011 9:18 pm - Voted 10/10

A good start.....

Saintgrizzly's Glacier NP is definitely the benchmark though there are other good ones as well.
Good luck with it!!

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Katmai National Park' main page