Viewing: 1-15 of 15
peninsula

peninsula - Sep 14, 2008 8:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great tale..

Thanks Chief,

It was a wonderful trip. I only get one of these in a year, but the memories will last a lifetime.

peninsula

peninsula - Sep 14, 2008 8:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Agreed, great tale...

Thanks butitsadryheat,

Ironically, the toe damage occurred two days before departing for Bishop. I had worn a pair of ill-fitting muck boots while cleaning up a nasty sewage spill! That was the "unscheduled domestic duty" that had me leaving late for the trip.

dano

dano - Sep 15, 2008 6:13 pm - Hasn't voted

You took me on a journey!

Great story! Fine photos!!!!
Hows the knee? I love your macro shots. I need to get one of those lens.

peninsula

peninsula - Sep 15, 2008 9:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: You took me on a journey!

Thanks dano,

The knee is a bit stiff in the morning. Nothing serious fortunately. I figure I sprained my medial collateral ligament. I have never heard my knee pop like that before. I can't help myself when it comes to pushing my limits in the Sierra, even if they are relatively modest. I'm glad you could join me on the journey.

PvHiker - Sep 17, 2008 12:15 am - Hasn't voted

Hi again!

"In one pair, a young couple, we found our enthusiasm for the area overflowing in conversation. They tipped me on a nice camping spot not only on the Bench, but another site near Lake 11,092 below Snow-Tongue Pass."
Hi again from the couple who chatted with you about the camp spots. Thanks for referring to us as "young", as we are both close to 50!
Great write-up and pictures; the photo of Lake 11,092 is our favorite. Glad you were able to find the camp spots we described. After we left you, we continued up the Darwin Bench and camped at Lake 4, before going over Lamarck Col the following day. When we did Snow Tongue Pass, we (apparently incorrectly) descended ever so carefully from the low spot of the pass. Although that is not the correct route, it doesn't sound like it was any worse than the route you ended up on. Happy Trails.

peninsula

peninsula - Sep 17, 2008 5:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hi again!

Hello again indeed!

I guess I veered on the young side with the age estimation! Oh well, I guess we are all younger when we are in the mountains. I'm glad you found me here at SP. I recall saying something about Summit Peak instead of Summit Post and figured I'd blown it! Thanks again for the tips on good campsites.

I figure I'll make a print out of the Lake 11,092 photo... and maybe one of the grassy tarn as well.

I'd love to see your photos if you could provide a link.

And btw, my D700 electronic level can be seen in the view finder. It is very handy. I only bought the D700 a week or two before this trip and I am still familiarizing myself with the details.

madeintahoe

madeintahoe - Sep 20, 2008 12:38 am - Voted 10/10

Solo Journey

Greg...Thank you for sharing your adventure! You write very well..I very much enjoyed reading about it..it took me away for a short time..just what I needed for myself.
That is a gorgeous part of the Sierra..your pictures are amazing, you have a great eye! The one campsite looks so cozy like. Did you see or hear any Marmots? That slab letting loose I bet was scary..I am glad you are okay. How is your knee feeling?

Thank you for your story

peninsula

peninsula - Sep 20, 2008 8:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Solo Journey

You're welcome Anita,

I did see a few Marmots. They were shy and would disappear as quickly as I could spot one. I remember my first trip into the Sierra August of 1979. We went to Cottonwood Lakes Basin and I saw my first Marmots... and they were very laid back, almost lethargic. But anymore, they all seem to be shy and quick to scurry away.

I also spotted a Pika on this trip. I have only seen a Pika on two other trips and only briefly, but this one I spotted was by a rock on the shore of Lake 11,092 and stayed put for a few minutes before going back underground. It was very cute but too far away to get a descent photo. I set my camera and tripod up to get a photo if the little furball were to show itself again, but it never did. They make a funny noise and I did hear them, mostly in the morning. I figure there must have been a colony among the rocks.

My knee is good as long as I don't twist it. I can go for jogs and do everything I always do otherwise. I figure it will heal slowly but all in good time.

Take care and thank you!

Carbo

Carbo - Oct 1, 2008 2:31 am - Voted 10/10

Nice trip

Great story and awesome pictures to go along with it. I wish I could go there soon.
Looks like the D700 worked out well for you.
I hope you knee is healing well

ClaireJ

ClaireJ - Nov 13, 2008 9:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Great TR

Loved the detail, the photos and your narrative "voice." All good! Hope your knee is on the mend.

peninsula

peninsula - Nov 14, 2008 7:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great TR

Thanks ClaireJ,

My knee is pretty much back to normal... faster than I had hoped. Normal is not to say I can leave the ibuprophen at home come next year's trip, but that is nothing new. Knees, mountains, backpacks, and age, they have a way of catching up with us sooner or later. Nonetheless, my enthusiasm for next year's trip remains undaunted!

mattnoland

mattnoland - May 5, 2014 4:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Well Done

Thanks for posting this well-written and humorous report. I am headed over Piute Pass with a friend early next week. Your photos are very exciting and I look forward to getting up there and seeing that country through my own eyes soon!

Matt

peninsula

peninsula - May 5, 2014 5:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well Done

Thanks Matt! It was an epic trip, one I know you'll enjoy seeing with your own eyes. Enjoy and be safe.

Greg

pauwelyn - Jul 12, 2021 6:13 am - Hasn't voted

Awesome hike

Nice job. I’ll be heading that way myself in a couple of weeks with fishing and camera gear just as you did. The only difference is I will be using Alpine Col or Keyhole instead of Lamarak Col. I plan to day hike up to the top of Snow Tongue Pass from the west side but I don’t dare to try to descend the east side solo. I loved your pictures and 14.5 inch rainbows up in the Sierras sound pretty exciting as well.

peninsula

peninsula - Jul 12, 2021 6:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome hike

This remains one of my favorite trips in Kings Canyon, but avoiding the east side of Snow Tongue is a good idea long as you have the extra time. It does make for a convenient shortcut but you can be sure I'll never venture over it again! Best of luck and thank you for the compliments.

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Kings Canyon Evolution Loop with Altitude' main page