Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 25.56000°N / 100.41°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6692 ft / 2040 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


** UNDER CONSTRUCTION **

Is the second highest point of the Chipinque range just south of the city of Monterrey, and also the highest point around the city wich lies at 530m. above sea level. It has incredible views from it`s summit, to the north you can see the whole city and the northern plains, as well as the other mountains that surround the city: Cerro de la Silla and Cerro las Mitras among others; to the south lie the Sierra Madre Oriental, wich this mountain is a part of, with innumerable canyons and rocky peaks, including La Viga, one of the highest mountains in northern México.

The initial part it runs across the pine and oak forest wich in parts has been damaged by wildfires,and it`s an easy hike; the middle part is a one hour long zig-zag, and the upper part is the most difficult one since it`s rocky and very steep and it`s basically a long
and streneus scramble with some category 5 free climbs on 70-80 degree walls. *

Getting There


Drivig from downtown Monterrey trough Colonia del Valle to the base of the mountain take the well marked road to Parque Ecológico Chipinque and drive up about two miles to the park`s entrance, the longer trail starts here, or you can drive up three more miles to the Chipinque plateau. The only route to the summit starts here. *

Red Tape


You must get a permit at the park`s entrance when not climbing with a mountaineering club. No fees are required unless you take your car into the park (some parking is available outside the park); you must obey the park`s rules specially when it comes to wildlife conservation and wildfire prevention, or risk being fined. Seasonal closures happen specially after heavy rains which can lead to rock and mudslides blocking the road or damaging the trail. *

When To Climb


The best time is during the cooler months from October to April, but can be climbed in any month. It`s recommended to start the climb before sunrise with the day`s cooler temperatures specially in the summer since the day`s heat can really heat up the bare rock walls near the summit. *

Camping


Camping is NOT allowed anywhere in the park due to wildfire danger. *

Mountain Conditions


Parque Ecologico Chipinque phone numbers are:
8303-2190 and 8303-0000, to inquire about conditions. *

Miscellaneous Info


* Pacojgarza provides info.

*** UNDER CONSTRUCTION ***

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

enriquegarza - Sep 21, 2005 6:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

* Pacojgarza provides the info.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.