Landmannalaugar

Landmannalaugar

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 63.98816°N / 19.05991°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Landmannalaugar - Overview

Landmannalaugar (The People's Pools) is a region near the volcano Hekla in southern section of Iceland's Highlands.
The Landmannalaugar area is a popular hiking hub and tourist destination in Iceland's highlands. The area displays a number of unusual geological elements, like the multicolored rhyolite mountains and expansive lava fields, not far from the service center. The many mountains in the surrounding area display a wide spectrum of colours.

Laugavegurinn (The Hot Spring Route) is a popular hiking route from Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork. The total hiking distance is around 53 km. The trail offers a great variety of landscape. Picturesque mountains in almost every colour of the rainbow, sand areas, great glaciers, roaring hot springs, rivers, waterfalls and lakes.

1st Day: Landmannalaugar - Hrafntinnusker
Distance 12 km, elevation increase 470m.
2nd Day: Hrafntinnusker - Álftavatn
Distance 12 km, elevation decrease 490m.
3rd Day: Álftavatn - Emstrur (Botnar)
Distance 15 km, elevation decrease 40m.
4th Day: Emstrur (Botnar) - Tórsmörk
Distance 15 km, elevation decrease 300m.

The route can also be extended by 1-2 days by continuing to Skógar.

Getting There

By bus

The bus from Reykjavík to Landmannalaugar leaves daily (from the middle of June to the middle of September) from the Bus Central Station (BSÍ) at 8:30am. In the mid Summer there are also scheduled bus tours between Landmannalaugar and Mývatn.

By car

You can rent a car in Reykjavik or take your own car to Iceland with the ferry. There are three main roads leading to Landmannalaugar:

The easiest one is F208 from the North. There are no rivers to cross, so a normal car will be enough, but be prepared for shaky ride. Bigger cars (4x4) are recommended for the other roads.
The second easiest is F225 from West (close to Mt. Hekla).
The third easiest is F208 from the South (between Vík and Kirkjubæjarklaustur).
Before the departure check the maps information about the weather because water in the rivers can differ a lot.

Red Tape

The Landmannalaugar area is open for tourists from June through late September, after which time the road is closed.

Hikers have to register at the nearest departure point (hut) before Highland hiking.

Camping

ITA Mountain Huts in the area:

Landmannalaugar
Telephone number (from July 1st to September 30th): 854-1192
GPS: 63°59.600 19°03.660

Mt Hrafntinnusker, Hoskuldarskali
Tel: 568 2533
GPS: 63°51.470 - 19°13.640

Alftavatn
Tel: 568 2533
GPS: 63°51.470 19°13.640

Botnar, Emstrur
Tel: 568 2533
GPS: 63°45.980 19°22.450

Thorsmork Mountain Reserve, Husadalur
Tel: 552-8300

The mountain huts are operated by Ferðafélag Íslands (The Iceland Touring Association). It is recommended to book well in advance in high season to avoid disappointment.

Camping outside designated campsites is not allowed.

External Links

Information about Landmannalaugar: www.landmannalaugar.info
Road Conditions and Weather: www.vegagerdin.is/english/road-conditions-and-weather
Flights: www.icelandair.com
Photos from Iceland: Iceland - June 2010