Last meters to the summit,...

Last meters to the summit,...

Last meters to the summit, Arista del Sol route (Feb 13, 2005 photo by RGE)
rgeocba
on Feb 14, 2005 3:23 pm
Image ID: 90107

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Scott

Scott - Feb 14, 2005 3:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Where's all the snow?

Its really that bare now? Alot has changed since 1992/1993! Izta used to be covered with snow from every side. (I actaully climbed Popo, not Izta, but viewed it from all sides).

rgeocba

rgeocba - Feb 14, 2005 6:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Where's all the snow?

We have a lot of dry seasons the last years, it seems like we're loosing our glaciers, really bad¡¡

climber21

climber21 - Apr 10, 2005 5:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Where's all the snow?

Yes, we are. The first time i climbed Ixta was January 2000, and even that recently, there was still significant snow on this area. Some glaciers on ixta have already disappeared and all glaciers in Mexico have greatly receded. It is quite sad. Yes, we have had a lot of dry years, but last year was actually pretty good, but an exception for the last 15 years, or so i'm told by those older than me.

climber21

climber21 - Apr 10, 2005 5:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Where's all the snow?

Do you happen to have any photos of Ixta from that time? I would be interested to see them. I looked through a report on Mexico's Glaciers that was made back around 1960, with many photos. I just about cried looking through it. Ixta had something like 12 glaciers then, and beautiful! Popo and Orizaba also are not there prior glory. But even the report from back then reported that it appeared the glaciers had been receding for at least the several decades before that! I dream about what it must have looked like in 1800.

Scott

Scott - Apr 10, 2005 8:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Where's all the snow?

I have this one added to SP, but of course that is the south and least snowiest side. It is still snow covered though. I haven't added the photos I have from the Amecameca or Cholula sides, but those sides are much snowier as you know. Next time I scan some photos, I think I'll add a few.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5