Limski Kanal

Limski Kanal

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.12965°N / 13.74115°E
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Istria region is the second best rock climbing area in Croatia after Paklenica. Istria offers so far nine climbing sites: Zlatni rt near Rovinj, Limski Kanal, Dvigrad, Istarske toplice, Raspadalica above Buzet, Vranjska draga near the Učka tunnel, near Pazin, Mošćenička Draga, Vintijan near Pula and Rabac.
There are over 500 sport routes. These are mainly single pitch, well bolted and on solid limestone rock.

The Limski Kanal is near to Vrsar. The rock is close to the 12 km long fjord. The rock itself is gray and yellow limestone and the view is beautiful too. You can find there interesting well-equipped routes with new bolts. The rocks are 20-30m high. Most of the routes are overhangs. The rock is craggy and stingy.
There are about 100 routes in five sectors. The sectors are: A, B, C, D and E. You can find more information about the routes below in this page (section 3 and 4).

Jules in Krijanca (5c) route




Best time of year

The best time to rock climb in Istria is the spring and autumn, though due to the varied character of the crags it is possible to climb all year round. For example it is possible to climb at places such as Rovinj, Pazin and Cepic in the hot summer months, or climb at sheltered crags such as Limski Kanal, Dvigrad and Raspadalica in the winter.

Routes


4a...4c+5a...5c+6a...6b+6c...7a+7b...7c+
32239314


Limsky Kanal
Center of the wall
Right side of the wall


Routes from left:

Duh 7b
Krijanca 5c
Long man 7a+
Sajeta 6b+
U. g. i. g. 6c+
Prc 6a+
Caligo 6a
Pitagora 6c+
Sparoga 6a
Karijes 7a
The art 7a
Bak 6c
Bubasera 7a
Puiana 7a+
Cok 7a+
Voganj 6c
Bljust 6c+
Microtac 7a+/b
Muskat 6b
Noi 6b
Kantun 5a
Vipera 7a
Strsljanovo gnijezdo 6b
Poskok 5c
Mr. Bombastic 5c
Zajfa 4b+
? 4b+

Map from the climbing area Limski Kanal

Worldtopo.com

Plezanje.net

Croatia rock climbing guidebook

Croatia rock climbing guidebook - 4th Edition 2007

Climbing guidebook for CroatiaCroatia climbing guidebook

Getting There

Roads in Croatia

Interactive Map of Istra - Croatia

Istria mapIstria map


If you don't live or stay on Istria Peninsula you should go ahead to Rijeka / Fiume first. From here you should turn to the direction of Pula and Porec on A8 road. At Ucka tunnel you should pay 28HRK (in 2007).
Go along A8 to Kanfanar and here turn to A9 road to Porec and Limski Kanal. At the end of the fjord you can see the rocks from the road. To left hand you can find a grassy parking place, you can leave your car here.
There is a footpath straight to the rock. Just go along on it and have a lot of fun for climbing !

Weather

Climate is Mediterranean; an average air temperature in January is 4.5 °C and in July 20.9 °C; an average annual temperature reaches 12.1 °C. Vegetation is sub-tropical.

Weather in Croatia


Wall Lizard
Sunset from Croatia

Camping

This site includes 158 hotels, 57 apartments and 41 campings in Istria.
Camping in Istra