Linville Gorge in the Slush

Linville Gorge in the Slush

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

January 2011 Hike along the Rock Jock Trail






External Links

Add External Links text here.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Jan 17, 2011 4:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Hot 'n cold

That first clip is so cold and desolate, Bob, it could have been in the hills around Fairbanks! And then I scroll down and ... WTF, you guys are hiking in tee shirts!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jan 17, 2011 5:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hot 'n cold

Typical southern USA weather. Day started out cold and cloudy, then BAM! it was clear and warm.

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jan 17, 2011 7:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Wide Open?

Bob,
From your pics, the Rock Jock looks like it is open with great views of the Gorge. Is it wide open most of the time or are these pics the exception? Is it this wide open in later spring/early summer or do the leaves block the views?

It looks like it would make a great choice for doing a north/south shuttle hike through the Gorge - exiting Conley Cove to the Rock Jock versus exiting the Pinch In. Your opinion/preference? I plan on heading back there in June for a 2 night trip.

Thanks for posting,
Mark

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jan 18, 2011 2:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wide Open?

Rock Jock is a great trail. Unending views on the southern end especially because the last forest fire completely denuded the slopes of ALL tree cover. It left no living trees on the entire southern end of the trail.

Yes, when I hike Rock Jock I almost always pick it up just north of Pinch In and hike it to Conley Cove.

Keep in mind that this is the new Rock Jock Trail, the old one having been completely and utterly obliterated in that last fire. This new version is much, much easier than the old--it mainly follows the contour of the rim and doesn't have as many ups and downs as the old one (which is pretty much completely consumed by deadfall).

Viewing: 1-4 of 4