Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Kane

Kane - Mar 30, 2008 8:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Hi Steve

That's serious persistance! Exposure takes time and practice getting used to. Little Horn's east ridge is all mental and one day you will get up that peak. Do not give up. The good news is that the rock on that ridge is of exceptional quality or what we call Bomber Rock. Just take your time, one section at a time and understand with good routefinding there is no class 4 on that ridge. When you are in a jam, don't be afraid to climb up rock that looks like it's not going to be the right move. On Little Horn, there's a few spots where really checking every nook and cranny for a solid hand or foothold is key yo keeping the route class 3.

Doing exposed routes with loose rock is what you will fear in time.

Good luck,

Kane

Westcliffe Willie

Westcliffe Willie - Mar 31, 2008 8:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hi Steve

Thanks for the vote of confidence there, Kane. I think I'll take a little break from that hill and work on a few others locally. Come back in the summer.

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Mar 30, 2008 9:31 pm - Voted 10/10

You'll make it, don't give up!

That ridge can be a bit interesting with snow. Don't worry, you will have zero problems when the snow is gone - that is if you don't make another attempt before that :) - you sure are determined! Thanks for sharing and for the conditions update in the Sangres.

Westcliffe Willie

Westcliffe Willie - Mar 31, 2008 8:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: You'll make it, don't give up!

Thanks, Sarah. I'll keep plugging away at that rock.
As far as conditions...I live in the area. If you need some, give me a ring.

hikin_jim

hikin_jim - Mar 31, 2008 1:47 am - Hasn't voted

Great Write Up!

Great write up Steve. Seriously, you've got a way with words. Fun to see what you're doing out that way.

HJ
(from the SGWA board)

Westcliffe Willie

Westcliffe Willie - Mar 31, 2008 8:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Write Up!

Jim, thank you very much for the compliment. I'm glad you were able to enjoy my suffering. LOL. I have to say, from reading your posts on the SGW board, I feel as though I know you. We both have a similar, warped sense of humor. Too bad we didnt meet up and do some hiking before I moved. Tell me the truth, you favorite part was the part about Lamb Chops, wasnt it?

shknbke

shknbke - Apr 1, 2008 2:43 pm - Voted 10/10

keep at it!

Steve:

You are a lucky dog to find your sunglasses too! That ridge will seem much easier once the snow is gone. I'm sure it will be a lot less intimidating to you. I'm sure some of the exposed class 3 stuff turns to class 4 with the verglass we encountered, so that's why we stayed off the crest when we could and hit the couloir. Keep on perservering, Steve!

mckbill

mckbill - Apr 11, 2008 4:22 pm - Hasn't voted

coordinates correction

Great story. Glad you found your snow shoes and the glasses. Way to keep at it....just one thing.

When I used google earth to visit the coordinates it started flying to asia...Change the 'e' to a 'w'.

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Westcliffe Willie

Westcliffe Willie - Apr 11, 2008 9:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: coordinates correction

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the fix Mckbill. Not very familiar with the site yet. Wasnt paying attention to the map. Didnt notice until now that it uses a minus sign for west and no sign for east. Learn something new everyday.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Little Horn Peak-My Personal Enigma' main page