Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.32102°N / 105.27546°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9192 ft / 2802 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Northern Little Scraggy Peak & Front Range
Summit view to the south

Little Scraggy Peak is not as prominent as a mountain as its higher brother Long Scraggy Peak - but it is nonetheless a great destination to go hiking.

Like its brother Little Scraggy Peak is actually a long ridge with several summits, which stretches out along the western side of CR 126 - south of Buffalo Creek.

Most of the ridge is covered with pine and conifer forest - but its highest points stick out of the canopy and offer sweeping panorama views of the area.

A deep notch is separating the mountain into a Northern and Southern part.

The Southern part sports the highest point of the ridge and can easily be reached from Kelsey Campground right next to CR 126.

The Northern part is way more "scraggier" with several summits, towers and walls - the Colorado Trail is skirting the Northernmost part of Little Scraggy Peak.

Getting There

From Denver drive westwards on US 285 South (Hampden Av. within city limits) to the small town of Pine Junction.

Turn south on County Road 126, pass through Pine and Buffalo Creek.

Kelsey Campground is 17 miles down the road from Pine Junction on your right side.

Red Tape

Most of Little Scraggy Peak is part of Pike National Forest - please abide to all rules and regulations.

Pike National Forest



To the Southwest of Little Scraggy Peak is a patch of private land - please do not trespass.

Camping

Kelsey Campground is right at the bottom of the South Face of Little Scraggy Peak.


Kelsey Campground



Scattered campsites are to be found along the Redskin Creek Road north of Little Scraggy Peak.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
hgrapid

hgrapid - Nov 15, 2008 6:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Longitude off

39.32102°N / 105.27546°E is wrong This is in the Western Hemisphere. Try -105.27546 Also, what is the elevation of the mountain? How high is it?

Niederbayer

Niederbayer - Nov 15, 2008 6:46 pm - Hasn't voted

patience

I was not even completely done with the page - how about having some patience?

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.