Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.25470°N / 105.6153°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 31, 2004
It was Friday the 29th of October when we decided to head up onto Longs. Two close freinds, my brother and myself made up the group. With the three of us we could have climbed Delawares highpoint and had fun. The weather was reporting a "winter storm warning" but we decided to give it a go anyway. The wind was howling so loud that we knew right away we would need to change our goal from the boulder field to somewhere closer. Goblins forest proved to be close, but safe and enjoyable. After setting up camp we ventured up to tree line. Good thing we were staying lower. The wind was blowing us all around. We decided that we would head to the boulder field the next day and make a summit attempt on Sunday. On Saturday morning we didn't rush since the wind howled into the morning hours. When it died down we decided to head up. It proved to be a gorgeous day. We passed a guy who said that the boulder field was getting beat-up by wind still. When we arrived at the junction we made the decision to change plans. The loft rout looked great and the shelter near chasm lake would provide more protection and a more enjoyable night. We set up camp just below chasm lake. When we arose the next morning it was snowing and we were swamped in. We waited a little while and could see patches of blue coming from the west. Although the conditions weren't optimal (when are they?) we decided to give it a go. The long assent to the loft was amazing. It was a great snow climb that became very steep near the hour glass of ice up top. With the clouds coming in hard and the snow still coming down we decided we would call it a day. The treck out was long, as it always is, but the trip was well worth it. We'll be back...... again. Maybe next time we'll come in August and hike the key hole so we can finally stand on top. I love this mountain.... I think!

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jan 15, 2006 12:29 am - Voted 10/10

Trip Report Comment

Ah, nevermind my comment on your pic, I see what happened. Sorry you didn't make it. Let me know when you head back there!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1