Logging Road Approach to West Ridge of North Twin Sister

Logging Road Approach to West Ridge of North Twin Sister

Printable at 8.5x11. Made by Steph Abegg, www.stephabegg.com • Cross the bridge and hike/run/bike/push bike up a well-graded logging road. • After 2.6 miles (took me 30 minutes jogging), the road forks. Take the right fork. Don't be tempted to continue along the main logging road (marked by a sign, "9070”), since this goes to a quarry. • This logging road, the right fork, climbs gradually through a recent large clearcut. About half a mile after crossing a stream on a sturdy bridge, the road forks. Take the left fork. • Not long after the fork, there is a bushy road (behind a dirt mound) turning off to the left, but continue on the main road. (In general, if you see bike tracks you are on the right road.) • About 0.35 miles after the bushy road you don't want to take, just past where the road starts downhill, look for a trail that turns off the road to the left. There is a dirt mound, dead tree, and cairn. Only climbers make cairns, so this must be the trail you want! It is about 6.5 miles from the car. It took me 1 hour jogging to get to here from the car. • The trail is narrow for a little bit, but then widens to an old road spur and switchbacks through a clearcut. • Where the road spur comes to an end (this is where I would stash a bike), head leftwards past a fire ring and find the trail leading through brushy clearcut to the timbered ridge. Where the trees end (1.5 hours from the car for me), just follow the ridge all the way to the top. Don’t worry about following a trail or route description here, just go wherever your arms and legs lead you. Happy scrambling! • For the descent, I just descended the ridge and got back on the trail. In the earlier season, there is enough snow on the north side that I've heard that you can glissade back down to the trail if you don't mind steep snow.
StephAbegg
on Feb 23, 2011 12:15 pm
Image ID: 700647

Comments

No comments posted yet.