Viewing: 1-11 of 11
aiadvisors

aiadvisors - Sep 28, 2006 4:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent

All of the melodrama actually made a fun read. My son and I went up Jacob's Ladder three days after you did and stayed overnight in the meadow not far from where the Moab hat was last photographed. I was planning to post a trip report, but now, whoa, how can I top your amazing piece of literature. Our hike was fun and soo not extraordinary. Excellent report. I could see and visualize everything. It was almost as if I was there (without the pain). Thanks.

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Apr 9, 2007 12:52 pm - Hasn't voted

laugh out loud

A few times I was laughing out loud at what you wrote, especially at the roomate who thought your lights (all five of them!) were airplane lights.

Kai

Kai - Oct 31, 2007 4:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Me TOO!

I feel your pain. I got off-trail on my first shot at Lone Peak. We never made it to the cirque. Battled with evil scrub oak for hours on end.

aprovance

aprovance - Jul 29, 2009 12:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Curse them darn scrub oak!

While I have had most of those things happen to me before on hikes... I have never had ALL of them happen on the SAME hike! I couldn't stop laughing when your roommate on the phone said, "Woah, I thought you guys were an airplane for a second, you're WAY up there!" I can only imagine what a discouraging feeling that must have been. Great read. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Ryan Borzea

Ryan Borzea - Sep 19, 2012 6:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Entertaining read!

Like aiadvisors said, the more drama the better with this report. Glad you guys made it out in one piece!

leslie78

leslie78 - Sep 19, 2012 10:50 pm - Voted 10/10

WOW!

I really enjoyed reading this. Sounds like a rough time, glad you made it out okay. I especially liked the reflection at the end. :)

enyalid - Oct 7, 2012 3:16 pm - Hasn't voted

I've gotten lost too.

I have been up lone peak on 4 different routes. I have gotten lost several times up there. You have to mark where you have been and be careful not to drop into the wrong drainage. Everytime I have hiked Lone Peak, it always seems it is farther away then the previous time I did it, but it is an accomplishment. It is the "Everest" of Salt Lake Valley.

enyalid - Oct 7, 2012 3:16 pm - Hasn't voted

I've gotten lost too.

I have been up lone peak on 4 different routes. I have gotten lost several times up there. You have to mark where you have been and be careful not to drop into the wrong drainage. Everytime I have hiked Lone Peak, it always seems it is farther away then the previous time I did it, but it is an accomplishment. It is the "Everest" of Salt Lake Valley.

timp47 - Jan 1, 2013 11:19 pm - Hasn't voted

lone peak

Done this hike twice. Once in October with snow at the top. Yes you do have to dig deep inside when the going gets tough

videospence

videospence - Jan 19, 2013 11:02 am - Voted 9/10

Great writing makes great reading

...cause for good laughs and serious reflection. Thanks for this. I'm not surprised by so many posts suggesting it's easy to get lost on Lone Peak. I too have been mixed up on this trail. But fortunately I was with someone who had already had his getting lost on Lone Peak experience, and he set me straight.

dave23

dave23 - May 6, 2017 11:46 am - Voted 10/10

Digging Deep.

Made it to the summit of Lone Peak with a friend who was familiar with the trail. Would have gotten completely lost without his route finding abilities. That said I would agree it is the 'Everest' of the Salt Lake valley.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Lone Peak, and the Stairway to Hell' main page