Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Long Canyon is part of the historic Jaun Bautista De Anza trail made in the mid to late 1700s. There is an even usage of mountain bikers and day hikers using this route daily. For a canyon that lies between Southern Ventura County and the famous San Fernando Valley it gives off a great feeling of seclusion. There are also many variations of the trail leaving you a great deal of possibility to explore other trails. The trail can take you from West Simi Valley all the way to Lindero Canyon in Agoura Hills.

Getting There

If coming from the west you should take the 23 freeway and exit on olson road. Take a right at the freeway offramp all the way to wood ranch parkway. Take a right at wood ranch park way and drive down until the road ends. Take a right and you will immediately see a sign that says Long Canyon. Park in the paved parking lot and begin the trail.

If coming from the east you should take the 118 freeway and exit on first street. Take a left and take the road all the way down until it turns into long canyon road. You will see the paved parking lot at the end.

Red Tape

The gates will close at sundown. I have noticed that isn't enforced very often though. Some trails are overgrown in which signs are posted not to use this trail instead of clearing the brush. You can cut through it and save yourself some time.

Camping

There is no camping

External Links

www.nps.gov/juba

description of route

There is a steep ascent in the beginning that will lead you to a fork at the end. You will want to take a left at the fork. Follow this road until you reach the second fork with a great view of the canyon. It doesnt matter which way you take you will still stay on the trail. I prefer taking a right because its shadier. If you take a left you will ascend higher but will quickly have to descend steeply. As you walk down into the canyons you will curve to the left taking the trail uphill again leading to a sign that says Jaun Bautista De Anza recreation trail. From there keep straight and do not go left. As you follow this trail uphill take a right at the next fork. You will walk past a gate for cars. In this valley you will see a sign saying simi peaks or china flat. Take the China Flate trail and follow the signs until you reach Lindero Canyon.