Looking down from the...

Looking down from the...

Looking down from the northern summit of Steen's Mtn. The colors in the rocks are very interesting 8-30-03
Dean
on Sep 17, 2003 12:16 am
Image ID: 28235

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
rpc

rpc - Sep 17, 2003 8:41 pm - Voted 10/10

which route?

Dean,

just went thru. the photos you posted on Steens. Very nice! When you say you hiked the loop in the summitlog, do you mean the loop described in Lorain's Backpacking Oregon book (up Big Indian down Little Blitzen Gorges)?

Inspired by the photos Bob posted of your Sacajawea climb in the Wallowas (very nice stuff!) we might head over there this weekend if the WA Cascades weather forecast is not promising.

Radek

Dean

Dean - Sep 17, 2003 9:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: which route?

Radek, we went up from the Page Spring CG to the small parking lot at the area where they have three info panels and is considered the first highpoint. From there we went over to where the other highpoint is and the attennnas are locatted.(same elevation hence the need to get them both). From there, we took the south route down through Blitzen canyon and hit the lousy 6 miles of nasty road that is before the South Steens CG. so that is the loop I'm referring to.



The Sacajawea trip was great and we went up the Thorp Creek route. I had leg cramps super bad so had to bail at the 7800 foot mark but I intend to go back and get it. I need the highpoint. We had done 18 miles the day before in order to tag Red Mtn of Baker county.

rpc

rpc - Sep 18, 2003 6:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: which route?

I agree, the road IS NASTY! The view is good on the upper 1/3rd but these damn cars flying by and stirring up huge clouds of dust (most morons did not even slow down for us!) really made it unpleasant. Yeah, we initially planned on doing the loop backpack suggested in D. Lorain's book but were short on time after topping out via Big INdian and decided to take the road down. Wondering if Pueblo Peak in SE Oregon is a county highpoint? If so are you guys thinking of hitting that this year?

Dean

Dean - Sep 18, 2003 10:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: which route?

Pueblo isn't a county HP but Stevenson in Malheur county, to the SE towards McDirmid is. Crane Pk is the HP of Lake county and that pretty well sums up SE Oregon. It is a big almost empty area that is full of neat surprises as we found out.



BTW, the majority of the people we saw up on Steens were bowhunters and I concur about the morons who drive fast stirring up huge amounts of dust.

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Feb 16, 2004 1:14 am - Voted 10/10

Re: which route?

Pueblo does have over 3000 feet of prominence, so it's on my radar, although way down the list somewhere.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5