Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.51074°N / 119.87299°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9584 ft / 2921 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lookout Peak is a Class 2 summit located in the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness, south of Highway-4 near the Pacific Valley Campground and Trailhead. This peak is southernmost Sierran peak in the Tahoe Ogul List, despite being lower and less prominent than its neighbor, Peep Sight Peak. Both peaks are often climbed together, for a longer day out you could also climb Henry and Bull Run Peaks for a nice loop of prominent, named summits.

Getting There

Take Highway 4 East from Highway 99 in Stockton into the mountains for 95 miles to Bear Valley. One mile after Bear Valley, the highway passes Lake Alpine and becomes a one-lane road. This marks the winter closure spot. Continue on another 10 miles of narrow, winding road. The road will climb over Pacific Grade Summit (8,050 ft) and descend into a valley. The Pacific Valley Campground is located about a mile after the summit. The campground is usually open once most of the snow melts out. Turn right onto the campground road and drive about .75 miles to the Pacific Valley Trailhead parking area. There are campsites, toilets, and wilderness info boards here.

Red Tape

There are no permits needed for day use in the Carson Iceberg Wilderness, permits are required for overnight use. These can be picked up at the Ranger Station in Bear Valley.

When to Climb

Lookout Peak is generally climbed when Highway 4 is open, which is usually from May until to November.

Camping

Camping is allowed anywhere within the Wilderness. There is a campground at the trailhead, and these require no fee at the moment, however, that might change for the next season. Check the forest service website for the latest info.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
hgrapid

hgrapid - Sep 27, 2022 9:40 am - Hasn't voted

Under Construction

I placed this as under construction until photos are added

colingregory

colingregory - Oct 17, 2022 10:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Under Construction

Thanks for the help hgrapid!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2