Lost Cliffs Comments

hgrapidI would add

hgrapid

Keep in mind that bushwhacking in Shenandoah is a real hassle, except in winter. Poison Ivy and thorns are problematic. There have a few times when I paid dearly for hiking off trail in Shenandoah, whether it be cuts or poison ivy, I almost died one time from an infection caused by the poison ivy in Shenandoah.

I would advise people to steer clear of these plants. I think winter is the only time to bushwhack viably.
Posted Apr 20, 2007 3:26 pm

Bob SihlerRe: I would add

Bob Sihler

Thanks for the suggestion. I meant to add just such a paragraph but must have forgotten to write it. Check for it after the rattlesnakes warning.

Want some really bad bushwhacking? I went down Naked Creek a few weeks ago. There's no trail, but there are several falls on the topo maps, and I've always wanted to see them. Pretty falls, NASTY hiking. I might make a route page, but I can't imagine who else might want to go there.
Posted Apr 20, 2007 3:56 pm

hightineraryRe: I would add

hightinerary

I agree about bushwhacking in SNP (and in the Massanutten, too). Maybe there should be a page on the worst bushwhacks. However, sometimes a bushwhack is surprisingly pleasant, and you wouldn't know if you didn't try. Anyway, you have no choice when you want to keep climbing new peaks around here - eventually you run out of trails and you run out of named peaks.
Posted Dec 14, 2013 6:52 pm

hightineraryLost & Found

hightinerary

I just discovered this page. Very interesting - I'll try to visit this area one of these days. Maybe I could climb the cliffs and continue bushwhacking northeast to the summit of Peak 3390...

Posted Dec 12, 2013 8:28 am

Bob SihlerRe: Lost & Found

Bob Sihler

There are nice views from the cliffs. If anything is visible from that summit, you would have a real sense of secrecy and isolation.
Posted Dec 13, 2013 9:49 am

hightineraryRe: Lost & Found

hightinerary

It's now on my list for next year.
Posted Dec 14, 2013 6:46 pm