Low-Light Photography

Low-Light Photography

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery
Photography in low-light conditions presents unique challenges that are often afterthoughts in the world of daytime point-and-shoot digital photography. Factors such as equipment, creativity, timing, luck, and, of course, light, play defining roles in the success of a shoot in less than idea conditions.

With the primary image above as an example, the photo was taken on a dark night with a tripod-mounted SLR camera with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens. Aperture was set to 5.0, ISO at 1600, and exposure at 30 seconds. Long exposure noise reduction was also used. Shutter release was via a remote switch. The biggest challenge was the focusing, which is difficult when you can barely see the object. Trial and error is sometimes the only answer.

This album is for low-light photographs only. This can be any picture where the lack of available light necessitated a steady hand or tripod, advanced camera settings, or maybe just a little bit of luck.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Aug 12, 2007 9:55 am - Voted 10/10

Is this album private?

I have one image of this kind, with Moon glow and the stars, from a night assault on Timp last month. But no way to attach it :( . I used standart Lumix night-scene mode, no tripod, just set the camera on a trailside rock.

rayray

rayray - Aug 12, 2007 1:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Is this album private?

Thanks for the note. I had it set to private attach only, which was an oversight. It's fixed now, so please feel free to attach. Thanks again.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2