Maquilla Peak

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.11221°N / 126.3397°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 6001 ft / 1829 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Unnamed Image
Maquilla Peak
Unnamed Image
Indy

Maquilla is another one of the islands lesser climbed peaks. At 6000 feet (give or take depending on the source you use) this peak isn't nearly the highest or the most technical hike around, but the view of the surrounding peaks make it well worth the effort. New logging roads allow you to drive right to where the hike leaves the road and heads up into some nice open old growth timber before emerging in the alpine. This hike is about 7 km round trip and takes about 5 hours to complete.

Getting There

Access is pretty easy for this one. Drive north of Campbell River for about 1 hour and 15 min. Turn at the Mt. Cain turn off and then take your first right onto the Nimpkish main, rather than straight towards Cain. Follow this for about the next 20 km until Artman Road. This road shoots sharply back behind you 180°. If you cross a bridge at this point you have just missed the turn. Follow the Artman road as far as possible until you reach a newer slash. Park the truck and start hiking around 50.101480° -126.356406

Route

Unnamed Image
Google Earth Route

At around 50.101480° -126.356406, leave the road and start hiking up towards the timber. The timber for the most part is very open, with easy walking and good visibility. As shown in the google earth image, on the way up I took a very round about route, traversing across the side of the mountain away from the peak before breaking the ridge line. On the way back (and the much more recommended route) I followed an old creek bed. When hiking up aim for the creek at 50.104496, -126.350441. While easy traveling, don't be tempted to follow the creek bed to far or you will get bluffed out near the top. Instead look for the path of least resistance up the side slope, aiming for 50.104455 -126.345485. Follow this little ridge until you're looking up at a steep cliff, forcing you to go left or right. There is a steep but narrow little gully to your left at this point, which is easily crossed right at the base of the cliff towering over you. Keep making your way left around the cliff and there is an obvious draw which will take you up on to the ridge line. From here its an easy walk up to claim your peak!
Unnamed Image
Starting point

Unnamed Image
Looking back at the truck
Unnamed Image

Unnamed Image
 
Unnamed Image
River Bed
Unnamed Image
Maquilla Peak

Unnamed Image
Maquilla Peak
Unnamed Image
Looking back at the ridge line
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Victoria and Warden Peak


Red Tape

No Red Tape, but just careful as you will meet logging trucks on the road.

When to Climb

The Nimpkish Main is kept clear of snow year round, but after leaving the mainline there is no guarantee. As usual in these steep areas avalanches can pose a major risk. Best bet is late spring into the fall.

Other Photos

Unnamed Image

Unnamed Image

Unnamed Image

Unnamed Image

Unnamed Image

Unnamed Image

Unnamed Image

Unnamed Image

Flag Counter